The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Help with deciding how to approach a central heating system / boiler in potential new home??

Hi there, we are first time buyers and buying a property which has gas central heating, including an Ideal combi boiler which is 12 years old (my partner couldn't find a product code unfortunately when he visited again this morning, tho he has taken a picture!). The system has been drained, as the property has been empty for 1yr+. I have a couple of questions, not being remotely clued-up on all-things-boilers...

1) What would we likely have to do to get it working again when we move in? Will a service do this? What will the likely cost be?

2) How often should this kind of boiler be replaced? This has an installation date of 1997 on it... Are we likely approaching a time after this long period where we start having problems?

3) How much should we expect to buy a new boiler? It is a very small 2 bed terrace, with radiators in kitchen, living room, 2 bedrooms and bathroom.

4) Would we likely only need a new boiler, not any work doing to pipework, etc?

5) Anyone know any reputable plumbers who would undertake the necessary work in the north of Sheffield? (Thurlstone, near Penistone, S36)

Thanks so much for any help! Bit clueless on this one... :-(

If i was you, i would replace the boiler with a brand new shiny one. Ideal boilers are RUBBISH. You could get it serviced.....but a 12yr old Ideal boiler which has been off for a year...most on here will agree with me when i say to replace it.

Think about installing a more reliable condensing model - you will save money in the longrun. I mainly install Vaillant and Worcester Bosch. Baxi aren't too bad if you go for the Duo-tec model.

Saw the new Intergas model at installer live - very impressive!!

Also, because it has been off and drained down for a year, i wouldn't be surprised if some of the parts in the primary system (valves/pump/etc) have seized up.

Your last 2 questions are easy to answer. Get a minimum of 3 installers in to give you a quote...written quotes. You'll also get lots of free advice.

I agree with AtiAerials! It's only over the last couple of days that we've been using our central heating much, but the blinking boiler has developed a fault. It's a Worcester-Bosch 24Si II, and the fault indicator light keeps coming on and flashing fast (according to the user instructions this means that it has an appliance fault). The fault first occurred when we had our heating on all evening and then went to have a bath before bed. The hot water was ok at first but then went cold and when I checked the boiler the light was flashing. I switched it off over night and it worked again in the morning, but the next day we had exactly the same problem (and it's done it again today).

Does anybody have any advice? I think it might be overheating or the pressure getting too high because it only happens when the heating and water are being used heavily.

Help!

Thanks,

Alex

Are you saying its going to lockout when heating and hot water are on, or is the problem just related to hot water. Eg....you run hot water..its gets hot..then goes cold..check boiler to find red light flashing..

If its just on the hot water side then it could be either a faulty flow switch or one of the thermisters has gone out of range.

If you're getting intermittent lockout on both heating and hot water then it could be a few things. I do know that a faulty PCB is not an uncommon problem on the 24SI...;)

andy

Are you saying its going to lockout when heating and hot water are on, or is the problem just related to hot water. Eg....you run hot water..its gets hot..then goes cold..check boiler to find red light flashing..

If its just on the hot water side then it could be either a faulty flow switch or one of the thermisters has gone out of range.

If you're getting intermittent lockout on both heating and hot water then it could be a few things. I do know that a faulty PCB is not an uncommon problem on the 24SI...;)

andy

Thanks for your help!

When the heating and hot water are both on at the same time for a while (for instance in the evening when having a bath) the boiler throws a fit and the red fault indicator light starts flashing madly. This means the hot water and heating both stop working. The pressure on the boiler reads approximately 1.7-1.8 bar but doesn't drop significantly when the boiler stops.

Having looked in the manual it looks like it may be an air flow fault - at least the symptoms are the same :)

"If an air flow fault has occurred, the fault indicator will flash (approximately 5 times a second)".

I had a look outside at the flue terminal and couldn't see anything blocking it or any damage to it.

Any ideas? I'm guessing it's probably not a do it yourself job :) Approximately how much would it cost to have someone come and look at it?

Many thanks,

Alex

Help with deciding how to approach a central heating system / boiler in potential new home??

Hi there, we are first time buyers and buying a property which has gas central heating, including an Ideal combi boiler which is 12 years old (my partner couldn't find a product code unfortunately when he visited again this morning, tho he has taken a picture!). The system has been drained, as the property has been empty for 1yr+. I have a couple of questions, not being remotely clued-up on all-things-boilers...

1) What would we likely have to do to get it working again when we move in? Will a service do this? What will the likely cost be?

2) How often should this kind of boiler be replaced? This has an installation date of 1997 on it... Are we likely approaching a time after this long period where we start having problems?

3) How much should we expect to buy a new boiler? It is a very small 2 bed terrace, with radiators in kitchen, living room, 2 bedrooms and bathroom.

4) Would we likely only need a new boiler, not any work doing to pipework, etc?

5) Anyone know any reputable plumbers who would undertake the necessary work in the north of Sheffield? (Thurlstone, near Penistone, S36)

Thanks so much for any help! Bit clueless on this one... :-(

I am your way sunday doing quotes so could pop in and see what is required

please call me 07592418536

Here are just a few links to forum customers who are happy with our work

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/show...=77767&page=28

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=452853

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/show...83#post4810483

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/show...00#post4954900

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/show...127757&page=41

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/show...127757&page=38

Or visit our ever changing photo gallery

Thanks

Mike

I agree with AtiAerials! It's only over the last couple of days that we've been using our central heating much, but the blinking boiler has developed a fault. It's a Worcester-Bosch 24Si II, and the fault indicator light keeps coming on and flashing fast (according to the user instructions this means that it has an appliance fault). The fault first occurred when we had our heating on all evening and then went to have a bath before bed. The hot water was ok at first but then went cold and when I checked the boiler the light was flashing. I switched it off over night and it worked again in the morning, but the next day we had exactly the same problem (and it's done it again today).

Does anybody have any advice? I think it might be overheating or the pressure getting too high because it only happens when the heating and water are being used heavily.

Help!

Thanks,

Alex

I'll see you on Monday !!

we have a back boiler, was working fine this a.m

returned home and switched it on , and its not working , its not switching on, pilot light is on , so dont know what problem is, any advice please

thanks

firstly check the external controls are all calling for heat ie timer is and room stat (if fitted) is turned up,if you can locate the pump and manualy feel its running then this points to me the controls are working and there is a fault with the bbu (back boiler).Probably the solonoid on the gas valve, if the pump aint running then may be the timer.Also just check the fuse in the isolater which should be located near the back boiler or clock replace it with a 3 amp http://www.ignitiongasservices.co.uk

Can anyone help please? Our boiler has stopped working today - it is a Barlo Balmoral 45F (very ancient looking!). It seems to be the pilot light that is not working. I have tried turning it off and re-igniting but no with no luck. When i try to turn the CH on it sounds like the system is trying to operate as normal but there is just no heat coming up to the radiators. Gas oven and electric are otherwise working ok

Any help/advice would be much appreciated so i can work out who to start ringing tomorrow if it requires a call out. Cheers

relight the pilot by pressing the grey push button on the gas valve and sparking the igniter when the pilot lights hold it in still for 10 to 20 seconds and slowly release if it doesnt stay alight it could be ur thermocouple but i think on that model theres also a overheat interupter so it could be that or last but not least it could be the gas valve im booked up till late nxt week but you could give ex gas or pryor plumbing and heating there good blokes

You're right, there is an overheat interupter on that model but they are usually pretty solid and dont often go open circuit. However, as a matter of course i would swop it over at the same time as the thermocouple.

Looking for a power flush for full system, 7 rads.

Also depending on price a towel rail fitted to replace bathroom rad, (i will supply towel rail).

Thanks

Please pm with your details

Can anyone help please? Our boiler has stopped working today - it is a Barlo Balmoral 45F (very ancient looking!). It seems to be the pilot light that is not working. I have tried turning it off and re-igniting but no with no luck. When i try to turn the CH on it sounds like the system is trying to operate as normal but there is just no heat coming up to the radiators. Gas oven and electric are otherwise working ok

Any help/advice would be much appreciated so i can work out who to start ringing tomorrow if it requires a call out. Cheers

I can call tomorrow or tuesday should you require.