The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

I have a boiler that's very, very temperamental. The pilot light keeps going out.

I have 2 friends that are gas plumbers (Corgi registered of course), and they can't fix it.

They both put new thermo-cuple's in, but it worked for a day, then went out...worked for a week and a half, then went out.... worked all way through summer (just the pilot light, not the heating. I'm not that daft) now that it's turning cooler....yep, you guessed it, it's gone out again.

Thing is, it still used to start up again when I lit it, but the pilot light won't stay on at all.

I paid my friends a total of £150 for their work. The problem never got sorted, but I had to pay for the parts, and their services.

I just wondered if anyone knew of a company that would replace and maintain for a monthly price... or something similar. :(

Will you post the names of these gas plumbers so I know not to call them if my boilers packs in !!!

did you get sorted smithster.??

switched my heating on today and the timer has defo stopped,its a mechanical one so you can tell its stopped.

the hot water ,which isn't controlled by the timer is ok so the boilers working.

looks like i'll need one of th boys round after my holiday.

Check the gap on the gas thermocouple if is not correct it will not work correctly.Out of curiosity what make of boiler do you have .

I've just a full heating system installed by Medway Heating, Deepcar. They were great, couldn't have been more helpful - 0114 288 2777 or call Andrew directly on 07889 455580.

Check the gap on the gas thermocouple if is not correct it will not work correctly.Out of curiosity what make of boiler do you have .

I know you're asking for 5Star's but I'm now having exactly the same problem. It is now repeatedly going out and quite often is impossible to re-light. Mine is a Glow Worm.

Guest Pauly

What model of Glow Worm is it? I fixed my mum's Glow Worm Ultimate by cleaning the pilot injector as it was full of muck that didn't allow enough gas through for the pilot to light and the boiler to fire up.

It's a possibility. Did your gas mates clean or check the injectors when they changed the thermocouple? :) Saying that it could also be that you need a new gas valve and the connection to the thermocouple is on it's last legs. :suspect: What make/model is the OP's boiler?

What model of Glow Worm is it? I fixed my mum's Glow Worm Ultimate by cleaning the pilot injector as it was full of muck that didn't allow enough gas through for the pilot to light and the boiler to fire up.

I have no idea, I tried to find out when I needed instructions on how to operate it from their site but there is no model number anywhere on the damned thing! It's fairly big, white, and says 'glow worm' on the bottom grey panel. Which helps a lot.

Guest Pauly

Is the bottom panel a pull-out tray or does it just flip down?

It's a Glow-worm economy plus. Model EP30B

i had similar trouble years ago. i stuck a nail in the thermocouple.

the red glowing heat kept the pilot light lit. eventually all it needed was a thermocouple fortunately.

Didyou know that under the goverments Warm Front team if you receive Disability Living Allowance you could get it replaced free of charge?

Glo-worm are quite a good boiler.I'm sorry your corgi reg mates couldn't fix it

to be honest it sounds a very minor problem but alas i am not C/R.

Cut your losses and give Herbert Fairy's a ring there in the book .Sorry i can't do more.

ps please be careful it's not worth having a botch job done.