The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much it would cost to fit 6 thermostatic valves to my radiators and also fit an extra radiator in our conservatory?

Just a rough idea will do for now.

Will depend on whether you want labour only or supply and fit. Also is it a straightforward job or does pipework need altering / floorboards need lifting. If you are supplying then make sure you get all the materials that will be needed for the job.

As you know, plumbers/gas fitters charge different rates as do most tades. So best advice would be to contact a few and get some quotes. Day rates for plumbers can vary from £150 - £250 per day (depending on how long they have been trained, where they trained eg. Met-uk, or how much they want the job. :) Some "plumbers" without formal quals may do the job for less ;)

Its A badged up glowworm they were very cheap and nasty I am afraid but very simple to fix ring me and i'll come and have alook for you.

A badged down Glowworm :).

A badged down Glowworm :).

Sorry for my awful spelling mistake LOL:P

Let me just say that I did not expect to get a plumber in on New Years Eve and certainly not one who would be at my house within 3 hours. Advice greatfully received, Mickey ET.

Although the job is still to be done, I have peace of mind whilst we are waiting.

Compliments of the season Mickey and have a good new year.

Hello,

I have a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 415 system boiler which is about 18 months old. This evening it has started to drip water out of the bottom of the boiler case - it seems to be coming out of the top half of the cabinet, and seeping through where the cables come out. Turning the heating and hot water off appears to have stopped the leak.

Obviously I need to get someone out to look at this. Can anyone recommend a good emergency plumber, or have any idea of what the problem may be (is there a known fault with this model?).

Thanks,

Mike (in Fulwood, if it helps)

This boiler has a 2 year warranty on parts and labour. Contact your installer or Vaillant directly. Both numbers should be on the boilers installation manual.

Hello,

I have a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 415 system boiler which is about 18 months old. This evening it has started to drip water out of the bottom of the boiler case - it seems to be coming out of the top half of the cabinet, and seeping through where the cables come out. Turning the heating and hot water off appears to have stopped the leak.

Obviously I need to get someone out to look at this. Can anyone recommend a good emergency plumber, or have any idea of what the problem may be (is there a known fault with this model?).

Thanks,

Mike (in Fulwood, if it helps)

Ring me I Can Help you, There is several thing that it can be will talkthrough it with you.

Complete-Heat, Mickey ET,

Thanks for the offers of help, I managed to get the original installer out (though I was out of guarantee - the boiler is 25 months old, not 18...) and the problem is fixed.

Mike

Complete-Heat, Mickey ET,

Thanks for the offers of help, I managed to get the original installer out (though I was out of guarantee - the boiler is 25 months old, not 18...) and the problem is fixed.

Mike

Speaking for both of us you are welcome. Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Hi folks, wonder if you could give me a bit of advice please?

I have a 20ish year old Worcester heat slave 9.24 that makes quite a lot of noise.

I can cope with the slight kettling that happens when the heating is on, I expect that from an old boiler but when you run the hot water it makes a quite loud noise like a passing low flying aircraft :mad:

The noise gets lower and lower the longer you run the hot water (like long enough to run a bath) until it kind of gets so low that it almost disappears. THen when you turn off the tap the noise quickly increases in pitch and disappears over a couple of seconds.

I've checked the pressure in the heating side and added water to bring it up to between 1.5 and 2 bar and it;s a bit better but still noisy.

We have the british gas cover but whenever I mention the noise at service, they just say that it's because it's old. Suprise suprise they're just trying to sell me a new boiler.

I'm a bit worried that it's going to get to the point that it annoys the neighbours too much as it's on a party wall.

Any hints muchos appreciado.

Ta

British Gas will always try and sell you a new boiler, it sounds like theres a build up of sludge in the boiler causing the noise. You could flush the system but you'd still be left with sludge in the boiler. On this occasion a new boiler may not be a bad thing.