The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

They sometimes need re sycronising with the reciver if powers been of at some point ?

I'd give the installer a call it will only take him 5 minutes to do.

They sometimes need re sycronising with the reciver if powers been of at some point ?

I'd give the installer a call it will only take him 5 minutes to do.

It's an intermittent fault. It failed to come on this morning, so I stuck it on manually. It then lost the signal twice before I left for work but came back on without any intervention on my part and was working when I left.

Looking at replacing our boiler for a more energy efficient one. We currentlly have a Halstead Best 60 (that's what it says on it!). I believe a combi-boiler is what we should be looking at but we're open to an expert opinion!! We live in a 4 bedroom detached. Can anyone tell me how much we should expect to pay to replace our boiler? Or at least give me a 'ball-park' figure! Any recommendations for a good fitter to replace it would be appreciated too!!!!

Looking at replacing our boiler for a more energy efficient one. We currentlly have a Halstead Best 60 (that's what it says on it!). I believe a combi-boiler is what we should be looking at but we're open to an expert opinion!! We live in a 4 bedroom detached. Can anyone tell me how much we should expect to pay to replace our boiler? Or at least give me a 'ball-park' figure! Any recommendations for a good fitter to replace it would be appreciated too!!!!

Whether a combi will be suitable or bot depends on a few things like how many bathrooms you have posistion of combi etc price can vary from one install to another best way is to let one off us of here come round a give you a quote/advice then you can decide what to do. I would recomend myself, JL heating or complete heat.

Thanks

Mike

Agree with Mike. I'd be very dubious of anyone who gives you a figure without actually looking at your property and talking through what best suits your needs.

Condensing 'combi's' and condensing 'system' boilers are both energy efficient.

Start by getting a minimum of 3 companies in. Get written quotes and make sure they include the make and model of boiler to be installed.

I had mine replaced, which included bricking up the old flue hole (done so well you cant tell it was ever there) drilling through a ft thick stone wall to put the new flue out and flushing through the whole system for £1500 (including the price of the new boiler (glowworm) and removal of the old one and all associated rubbish). If you are still looking for a fitter pm me and I'll dig out this guys details for you... he might do fitting only!

That sounds alot for a glowworm, you best going for a vaillant

im wanting my gas meter moved basicly 1or 2 meters to the left. Ive asked National grid for prices but does anyone else move them? Or does A person who works for them want to earn some extra money on weekend to do it?

You need a specific approval on the Corgi card to move gas meters, and it is likely that the person who moves them in the week is not approved at the weekend (They will be working on National Grid registration).

Be careful with who you get to do it as the meter belongs to them.

Just moved into a new house and haven't got a clue about the boiler thats in. It's a Glow Worm Fuelsaver MK11. Seems to work in a fashion and most of the radiators get warm, all old single ones, but some don't come on at all and have tried bleeding them where possible.Also the is no thermostat. The boiler itself seems to be kicking in every 5 mins. It has been regularly serviced but I think it may just be too old. I was used to a new combi boiler. The house is just not getting warm enough. I'm looking for advise on whether or not a thermostat will do any good and whats involved in that or if I should replace the boiler or replace everything and what that involves.

Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks.

There would be no benefit in you fitting a thermostat, if the house never gets warm enough. If the boiler keeps cycling on and off, and you have cold spots on your radiators, you would be better 'powerflushing' your system, this would clean all the sludge from the system.