The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

just because a boiler is bigger does not mean it will do a better job.

laymans terms ... : if you want a new car would you buy a 7 litre mustang to go to work in because its bigger or a nice little ford focus which would do just as good a job but do it more economically.

fit the boiler to the property ! A basic 28/30 kw boiler giving you 11 litre a min on the hot water is more than capable of giving you heat and comfort and many years of service.

As for the supply of the boiler etc, If you supply the boiler and it breaks down after 6 months ... who do you call ?? because you bought the boiler there is no installer guarantee on it, so you either call for an engineer and pay the time he is there then he will diagnose the problem and call tech and arrange a service engineer from the boiler company to attend.

my advise would be get some quotesand go from there,

things to look for ... 5 year warranty,stainless heat exchange,sedbuk A rating,correctly sized output for the property for both heating and hot water..

check engineer is insured and qualified to do the work ..

thats it .. good luck .

just because a boiler is bigger does not mean it will do a better job.

laymans terms ... : if you want a new car would you buy a 7 litre mustang to go to work in because its bigger or a nice little ford focus which would do just as good a job but do it more economically.

:D That DOES actually sound like something the OH would do if we could afford it :P

Thanks for your advice again guys, I'll talk to the OH and we'll get quotes - might give you both a call!

Following a "service" from Npower, our Worcester bosch 28i combi boiler has stopped working properly. It will produce hot water, but not central heating. At first the central heating would kick in if the hot tap had been run for a while first, but now it doesn't come on at all.

I've reset and checked the room thermostat and last night we performed the basic checks from the manual, so its pressure is fine and it hasn't locked itself out due to overheating. It fires up fine for hot water, just not the radiators (which I've checked).

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I'm guessing I should get a professional in, but it would be helpful to know what kind of cost for the call out and what the likely repair cost might be.

Before the service it had been fine. We'd not had it on much (despite the miserable summer!) and we went on holiday straight after the Npower service, hence I didn't have time to take it up with them (and now it feels like I've left it a bit long).

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Personally I'd get npower back. Just tell them you ve been away they should come back ! . Other than that what model of worchster is it (i.e Just the 28i, 28ijunior or greenstar junior 28 ).

Unfortunately, i think this may be just a coincidence. A npower service is just a basic check and a flue gas analysis.

Nows the time when central heating breakdowns begin. systems being turned on after being off for a while. Usually the pump has jammed (some combis dont use the pump when hot water is on) or the diverter valve has got stuck on hot water only.

Main way to check its a fault within the boiler is to link out the external controls. Unless you are confident/competent with electrics i'd suggest calling someone in.

PS: This is where BG's service is much better as they would come back out under the terms of their homecare plan.

as andy says an N power service is just a wee look at the boiler and check the fumes/terminal for excessive C0 in the fumes, this will show incorrect burn and therefore show it needs a strip down.

bit cheeky really but all the big boys do this it called a safety check now or service check...

I suspect that Npower will just argue that it's coincidence. The model is just the 28i (not junior or greenstar).

I think it needs a professional to have a look at it as the OH are not confident with electrics!

Thanks for the advice :)

First check that the pump is running and not stuck. Your Worcester may be one of the 28i's that dont have a diverter valve, just flow switch for hot water and pump for heating.

Are you sure that the room stat or c/h on programmer is not faulty??

PCB's are a bit dodgy on Worcesters, and can show up as the fault youve got. About £120.00 but i'd get the other things checked out first before sticking in a new pcb.

The room stat or c/h on programmer seems to be fine. I reset it initially to make sure and it shows the symbol saying it is "daytime" (i.e. a time of day it's programmed to heat) and a second symbol saying its calling for heat (when it's below the set temperature). The previous owner didn't leave the instructions for this so I don't know how else to check it is working.

Is it easy to check the pump? It doesn't seem to describe this in the user manual. I also have the installation guide with all of the checks but as this is meant for a professional I didn't know if I should try any?

Hi, I wonder if you can help.

I've got a Worcester Bosch 37CDi with a digistat. Unfortunately the receiver keeps losing the signal and the boiler fails to come on. The transmitter shows it's calling for heat but the receiver shows a flashing antenna and CH showing it's not receiving the signal. It seems to more likely when the temp is cold too, worst luck.

The transmitter is in the hall and the boiler in the bathroom at the top of the stairs so there is virtually line of sight between the two; there certainly isn't a problem with obstructions.

It's all under warranty so I can just get the guy who installed it back out, but if it's something simple like changing a setting, I might as well do it myself. Any ideas?

Is it the proper worcster stat ? or a cheap remote one ?

Is it the proper worcster stat ? or a cheap remote one ?

It's a Worcester one.