The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

I agree with completeheat if Bg charge for service contracts they should honour them persistance does pay off

Thanks Mikey, thats what I was thinking I should probably do.

HI I haven't seen this particular model off boiler, but if its shutting itself off theres probably a safety reason. I would recomend you get a corgi registered engineer there's myself and plently of others on here.

Its an old warm air heater Micky. Remember them from my BG days.

The puffing sound is usually a result of the blocked injectors in the burner casing. You'd have to strip it down and physically clean them. Don't know wether you can still get replacement injectors. Or the SIT gas valve is on its way out.

I expect that the boiler hasn't been serviced for quite a while. Fortunately, I've let my warm air ticket lapse :D.

Think John from J-L heating still has his up to date

Didn't realise halstead did warm air !! I would also recomend J.L. heating as I havent got warm air either.

Thanks.

I had it serviced just under a year ago. Its been fine, then I turned it off when I went on holiday for a week - and then it just started doing it.

Think at some point I might update to a modern system!

Well if its 'wet' Modern system you require give me ring will be more than happy to quote or any ov the other gas engineers on here.

Thanks.

I had it serviced just under a year ago. Its been fine, then I turned it off when I went on holiday for a week - and then it just started doing it.

Think at some point I might update to a modern system!

the warm air systems are still been fitted and still work a treat, they last for years on end even up to and around 35/40 years as always and spares are plentiful,

many people would not go to a wet system and like the instant heat of a warm air unit ,

the only problems are usually ventilation to the unit and usually with new legislation confusing things to make things comply just means a few alterations.

We're having to replace our Ideal boiler (which has given us a few problems and is apparently around 8 years old) - looking at the Vaillant Ecotec Plus 937. Also want an extra radiator added, and an existing radiator replaced. What qualifications/certifications should someone undertaking this work have? Someone offered to do the install only if we bought the boiler but OH neglected to ask for quote (!!) , and also not whether qualified!!!

How much should we expect to pay? bhl.co.uk in Barnsley (anyone used them?) sell the boilers for £1185.01 and can get it a bit cheaper on the internet elsewhere but suspect better to get relatively local? Are there any other suppliers of this boiler locally? Also, could anyone recommend a place to buy nice radiators?

Phew, lots of questions :help:

bhl are very good,

also have a look at the baxi duo-tec it won best boiler for 2 years and its big brother the platinum it has a 5 year parts and labour warranty and works a treat,

parts are very reasonable and plentiful,

rads can brought from anywere and mostly around the same price a good name is stelrad but most boilers have a 10 year warranty on them.

the engineer will need corgi for the gas side and depending on the electrics part p but not always necessary if you use wireless controls.

try and get some one with experience as this will make a better installation.

good luck john ..

We're having to replace our Ideal boiler (which has given us a few problems and is apparently around 8 years old) - looking at the Vaillant Ecotec Plus 937. Also want an extra radiator added, and an existing radiator replaced. What qualifications/certifications should someone undertaking this work have? Someone offered to do the install only if we bought the boiler but OH neglected to ask for quote (!!) , and also not whether qualified!!!

How much should we expect to pay? bhl.co.uk in Barnsley (anyone used them?) sell the boilers for £1185.01 and can get it a bit cheaper on the internet elsewhere but suspect better to get relatively local? Are there any other suppliers of this boiler locally? Also, could anyone recommend a place to buy nice radiators?

Phew, lots of questions :help:

Vaillant... one of my fave combis alongside Veissman :thumbsup:

Do you really need the 937? The 'store' is useful if you have a couple of bathrooms and have a lot of baths. The 837 can fill a bath just as fast as the 937 and also run a shower without affecting its performance. It has a hot water flow rate of 15litres per min.

With the extra money saved i'd add the weather compensation (VT430) and save more money on gas bills.

Thanks, you guys, you've managed to confuse us more :hihi:

We've looked at the platinum baxi's (Spent yesterday reading this thread and doing some 'research') but they don't seem to have the same output?

Reason we thought of the 937 was because it had a higher btu rating. And after all the problems we've had we'd be happy to spend a few quid more and get a really good one that'll do that job. We'll have to use our holiday 'fund' for this, but much better to be warm over the coming winter and save on gas bill! Our house is quite cold. The weather thingy looks great, is it wireless? Ie, would we need a part p person (sorry don't know the correct term to use!) for this?

We currently have 8 radiators, which we definitely need to add 1 to as the kitchen has been extended (before we bought it!), and are considering adding one to the garage as well which is where the boiler is as we've got our appliances in there. Not sure whether this is a good idea or not.

We'll get a quote from the person the OH talked to (if he has the certifications) but how would you guys suggest we approach this? Do we buy the stuff (I think I've read you don't like it is people did this? Does this apply to the boiler only or the radiators as well?).

Would any of you be willing to pm me a rough estimated quote? (either supplying the boiler or not) Basically would want a quote for : Replacing the boiler, replacing 2 existing radiators (said 1 earlier but the one in the hallway looks like it needs replacing as well) and fitting a new one.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond! :thumbsup:

You're confusing btu's with flow rate. This is why getting a registered installer in to quote is invaluable. Simplistically, Btu's is the oomph to drive your heating side and flow rate the hot water side. Today, even the small kW combis can easily heat up a dozen or more rads but wont have a high flow rate.

Basically, weather compensation can save approx 10 -15% off your annual gas bill. Monitors (via complex algorithms and heat curves) outside temp against boilers flow and return temps, and keeps the boiler in condensing mode for longer periods

Sometimes big isnt better :) Also individual systems have to be 'rated' to provide the best condensing conditions for the combi. I went to sort out a Vaillant 837 last week installed by either a 'training company' novice or someone not familiar with Vaillants. Heating output set at factory max, inlet pressure below manufacturers minimum. 831 model would have done the job just as well and saved the customer time and money.

1 quote from 1 guy just isnt good enough. Get a minimum of 3 (written). Ask if he's fitted that particular combi before, is he an approved installer (as your guarantee increases) and importantly can he service it and fix it if it breaksdown.