The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

First thing to check is the fuse board or circuit breaker board make sure that you've not blown a fuse or the circuit hasn't tripped out. Does the switch to turn it on have a little red light ? If that isn't on then it's electrical. Sometimes heating elements can fail and so you'll need to get an electrician/plumber in to fit a new one, easy enough to do if the airing cupboard isn't full of clutter

Thank you for the advice - will check as suggested. :)

Anyone help?

I have a ferrolli combination boiler.

Hot water, fine.

But if I put central heating on the pressure drops within 15 mins to below 1 Barr and heating goes off & hot water runs cold. I then turn little tap to repressure upto 2 or just after 2 & same happens.

Can't see any leaks from boiler, radiators don't need bleeding.

Help?? I realise il probably need a corgi gas man but wondered if it could maybe be something simple I could sort myself.

Like I broke the reset knob & replaced a year ago

Edited by themissis

So before the boiler kicks in the pressure is at or near 2 bar?

It starts up and the pressure drops to below 1 bar?

You then need to refill it again?

Is so that sounds like a leak somewhere.

The pressure in the central heating system shouldn't change much because it should be a sealed system.

The pressure in the central heating system shouldn't change much because it should be a sealed system.

hey geared, while you are diagnosing boiler problems, what do you think of this.

Electric boiler, central heating working but not hot water. Pressure fine, timer comes on as usual to heat the water at night, but no hot water. Hot water works if booster button is pressed. Any ideas?

Thank you for your reply. Sorry to be dumb but a leak from where? I've felt underneath boiler- dry. And under all radiators also dry.

Best call a plumber then, if you can't see a leak and you've bled all the radiators there's not much more you can do yourself :(

Come on geared, I know you know!

I know the number for a good plumber thats what I know.

Short of bleeding a radiator or nipping up a radiator union you call in the professionals before making the problem worse.

Edited by geared

Thank you for your reply. Sorry to be dumb but a leak from where? I've felt underneath boiler- dry. And under all radiators also dry.

It will be the expansion vessel. The increase in pressure will also take out the prv (blow off). if you check below the boiler you will see a 15mm copper pipe which leads outside. I bet it is dripping (or if you wrap a plastic bag around it it will be full of water the next time the pressure on the boiler drops.

andy

---------- Post added 28-06-2013 at 14:29 ----------

hey geared, while you are diagnosing boiler problems, what do you think of this.

Electric boiler, central heating working but not hot water. Pressure fine, timer comes on as usual to heat the water at night, but no hot water. Hot water works if booster button is pressed. Any ideas?

domestic hot water switch ( a bit like a thermister on a combi). received a feed from the pcb that u are asking for hot water. Booster switch is a secondary switch that is set to come on for a given time and temp. Hot water switch is in line with your timer, where as the booster witch is wired seperately and u have to press it to turn it on.

domestic hot water switch ( a bit like a thermister on a combi). received a feed from the pcb that u are asking for hot water. Booster switch is a secondary switch that is set to come on for a given time and temp. Hot water switch is in line with your timer, where as the booster witch is wired seperately and u have to press it to turn it on.

But when the timer comes on to heat the water, the red light shows up, but the water doesn't heat. Only stopped working a few days ago. It's quite strange.

Has anyone had a replacement boiler under the government scheme. Or does anyone have experience of the scheme and recommendations of the companies that do it.

Just had mine done this week. Send me your number and i will pass it on for you as i know the guy who comes round to see if you can get it!

---------- Post added 07-07-2013 at 11:07 ----------

Or i can send you his. Had it done with crumps of killamarsh.