The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Thanks to both figrin and joco very kind words thanks for the recommendations, we are

always here if you ever need us again cheers jon.

I have a very slight leak on a Telford Copper Cylinders "Tornado" cylinder. I've checked all the cylinder connections & they all look sound. However the expansion vessel on the top (Varem/extravarem 12L) has a rust spot and a slight leak. I thought these were stainless? Rust?!

Who could give me a quote to replace the expansion vessel & check the system?

ps I think I need someone qualified for pressurised systems?

Hi you do the engineer must hold an unvented hot water certificate.

We hold this so feel free to book a visit then i can take a look for you and work out

a free quote to do the work ps have you ever had it serviced and got an unvented

certificate.

Its crazy how many of these things are around and noone ever bothers with

the servicing, in my opinion it should be made a legal requirement for safety issues.

Cheers jon.

It looks to be about 10 years old. I was given the installation guide when I moved in. The sheet for services on it was empty! I'm just getting to grips with the system.

we can carry out the service for you and issue you with a correct unvented certificate.

Its up to you, not trying to drum up work as we are busy but I would never be happy with an unvented cylinder in my house that hasnt been serviced for 10 years.

I am looking at buying a house which currently has a conventional boiler with a hot water tank. I am considering installing a combi boiler and keeping the existing radiators to reduce the cost.

Can anyone give me an idea as to the cost of this? It would affect the offer I will be making on this house, so only a rough guide price is needed.

It is a 3 bed semi.

Allow £4k max.

Blimey, and that's without the rads?

Seems quite high, but then again. I have asked around and people paid less than that for theirs...

It's very difficult to rely on quotes when on that depends how much money you would spend on a house!

Thanks Steve.

Yes £2k seems more typical to me too, judging from others' experiences, my partner had his done for about £1,800 and that was with some new pipework as well apparently..:)

Sent you a PM....£2k is more 'typical' in my opinion, Steve

Agree with Steve, £2k is about right dependant on boiler choice, gas pipe run etc etc.