The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

My Bold=

Do you think it may be wind blowing into the flue pipe of the boiler causing the flame to blow out?

Are you being serious-ppeople ssneezing wwithin 10 mmetres of the bbboiler?

Ive no idea but it sounds reasonable. How would i check this? Why would this all of a sudden happen though?

When it starts doing it again check if it is windy outside near where the flue is. If there is a sudden gust of wind it may be the cause but I'm only guessing.

When it starts doing it again check if it is windy outside near where the flue is. If there is a sudden gust of wind it may be the cause but I'm only guessing.

No it cant be that. Been here 2 years, had windy whether than this.

the boiler in question does look like the pilot is blowing sideways on start up,

this is normal as the pilot assembly is at a angle to ignite your burner,

get the guy back out to check your pilot assembly for any blockages,

if all ok then you need to be looking at the fan or the APS,fans on these

boilers do go not as a fault but just due to wear and tear as the boiler

is a few years old.

Kind Regards

Phil

Also dont be too harsh on your gas engineer as intermittent faults

are hard to diagnose unless it happens while you are thereon site,

WD 40 is a definite no no on a fan the only time we would use this

is to free a siezed fan to get it working while we can order a new

one just to get the heating and hot water working,

Kind regards

Phil

the boiler in question does look like the pilot is blowing sideways on start up,

this is normal as the pilot assembly is at a angle to ignite your burner,

get the guy back out to check your pilot assembly for any blockages,

if all ok then you need to be looking at the fan or the APS,fans on these

boilers do go not as a fault but just due to wear and tear as the boiler

is a few years old.

Kind Regards

Phil

Thank you, is it dangerous or anything? Its a company called 'failsafe' who we have to call. Will it just get worse if left or will it fix itself? Many thanks

Phil is spot on, WD40 will give a fan a few days more life whilst a replacement is sourced. Does sound like a fan problem but can not blame your engineer if problem is periodic, as Phil explained

I fit the Siemens wireless programmable room-stat (RDJ10RF) as my generic option, you just need the original 'link stat' terminals on the boiler, I use 4-core from the wall unit, L/N picked up from boiler and the two stat terminals, works fine and no need for extra wires.

Mod note

Threads merged, again

Please use the search facility before creating new threads. Thanks

Hi, we have tried to put our central heating on tonight and it has failed-the pressure bar had dropped to 0. I turned the red pressure relief valve to reset it and re-filled it to 1.5 bar, but when we switch it back on, the pilot light still isn't coming on.

Does anyone have any ideas on what we can try next, or what it may be?

Thanks

Sam

Hi, we have tried to put our central heating on tonight and it has failed-the pressure bar had dropped to 0. I turned the red pressure relief valve to reset it and re-filled it to 1.5 bar, but when we switch it back on, the pilot light still isn't coming on.

Does anyone have any ideas on what we can try next, or what it may be?

Thanks

Sam

Bit confusing this. Firstly you should not touch the 'red pressure relief valve', it is an EMERGENCY discharge and using it to vent pressure manually can cause it to dribble......if I correctly understand your discription. If your boiler actually has a pilot then it needs to be lit for the main burner to fire, if your terminology is wrong and you mean the main burner will not fire up then it may be electronic ignition, boiler may need resetting and checks such as 'fan running' need to be made by a gas engineer. Post boiler make/model and we may be able to offer further advice, cheers, Steve

hi steve, thanks for your reply. it is a sime super 80. i used the PRV as was told to do this by a british gas engineer last year when we had a call out-but after reading other posts on here i did think it might not have been the best idea. basically normally if we switch the heating on, the boiler fires up-you hear it 'kick in' and then heating starts working (not sure if pilot light stays on or not) but its not doing the initial 'kick in' noise when it starts up.

when we turn the taps on you can hear a clicking noise each time you turn the tap on, from a little black box near one of the valves (sorry for no proper terminology)

don't know whether it could be related or not, but last year we had problems with the boiler as the overflow pipe kept dripping and would then freeze, pressure would build up and then we would have to re-pressurise it once thawed the pipe out.

thanks for your help

sam

add: i have noticed a few times when the boiler switches on it may make 4/5 clicking noises before kicking in, so maybe this is related to the ignition too?

Edited by Sambilena
add detail