The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

is that right pal,, always thought 1.5 was a standard setting,

i know some boilers come with a pre set pin set to 1.5 ? or atleast use to, its been a long time since ive worked on heating installs

based in the maintenance sector now, very rare i get to play with heating unless doing changing cylinders at work or doing small jobs for freinds !!!

nothing to do with gas obviously !!!!

Edited by LeakyLloyd

I was quite happy with my boiler service by Citywide heating services last year, so I called them for servicing my boiler service this year as well. Initially, the appointment was fixed for Monday. I then received a message from Citywide on Monday that the appointment will have to postponed & they could come on Wednesday or Friday. So I replied that Wednesday would be fine. I received no message from them since then. I even left messages on their phone but got no response. I couldn't go out yesterday because I thought they might turn up.

I'm assuming that they're not interested in servicing my boiler.

Can you suggest someone reliable please?

Hi,

Why not try Tom at PlumbEnergy. We use him for everything!

His number is: 07534 712 027

Tell him Ed told you to call!

Thanks

Mod Note

Threads merged yet again, please use the search facility before starting new threads

Thanks

That link doesn't work for me, I'm afraid.

I do have a question though. I'm looking for somebody to service/fix my boiler. The Gas Safe Register web site lists lots of people near where I live, which is really useful, but does anybody know what being on this register means exactly? Does it more or less guarantee a good job at a fair price, or is it more minimal than that?

And/or can anybody recommend someone in easy reach of the western side of Sheffield?

The Gas-safe register is an excellent tool.....it tells you who is qualified and registered (legal requirements) to work on gas, you can check their qualifications, if they can use an FGA (essential for modern boilers) and expiry dates etc and gives pictures of the actual engineers. We ALL stress the need to check credentials and I always show mine to every customer (though do not advertise my reg no. as it can lead to replication). Do not entertain anyone who is not on the Gas-safe register, they are breaking the law by working on gas and potentially putting you at risk. Hope this helps, cheers, Steve

I was quite happy with my boiler service by Citywide heating services last year, so I called them for servicing my boiler service this year as well. Initially, the appointment was fixed for Monday. I then received a message from Citywide on Monday that the appointment will have to postponed & they could come on Wednesday or Friday. So I replied that Wednesday would be fine. I received no message from them since then. I even left messages on their phone but got no response. I couldn't go out yesterday because I thought they might turn up.

I'm assuming that they're not interested in servicing my boiler.

Can you suggest someone reliable please?

Hi, I'm sorry for your experience this week, unfortunately I have only been sporadically receiving messages sent to my phone this week-a problem that's been brought to my attention by 2 or 3 people telling me they've sent messages to me which I've never received, and a problem for which I now have a new phone ordered. I honestly never received any message after I said we could visit weds or fri so I assumed either you'd had someone else to carry out the service or neither appointment was suitable for you( having read your post on here I can see that's not the case). I'd like to apologise for the breakdown in communication and if you've not already arranged for someone else to carry out your service I'll be happy to have Andy visit on either Weds evening or anytime on thursday to carry out the service for you- free of charge be means of an apology.

Ps- probably best to PM me or reply on here as my replacement phone hasn't arrived yet so I may still miss any message.

Thanks

Dan

City Wide Heating Services.

Hi,

Our radiator in the attic has never really gotten particularly warm, especially at the top. We have an excellent combi boiler (about 3 years old) that should handle it no problem. I have tried to bleed the radiator but that hasn't helped. It's not been a major issue as we don't spend much time up there but my folks are coming to stay for Christmas this year and dont want them to freeze!

Any suggestions or helpful people you know of who could possible solve this problem welcome.

Thanks.

Hi, I'm sorry for your experience this week, unfortunately I have only been sporadically receiving messages sent to my phone this week-a problem that's been brought to my attention by 2 or 3 people telling me they've sent messages to me which I've never received, and a problem for which I now have a new phone ordered. I honestly never received any message after I said we could visit weds or fri so I assumed either you'd had someone else to carry out the service or neither appointment was suitable for you( having read your post on here I can see that's not the case). I'd like to apologise for the breakdown in communication and if you've not already arranged for someone else to carry out your service I'll be happy to have Andy visit on either Weds evening or anytime on thursday to carry out the service for you- free of charge be means of an apology.

Ps- probably best to PM me or reply on here as my replacement phone hasn't arrived yet so I may still miss any message.

Thanks

Dan

City Wide Heating Services.

Thanks for your reply Dan. You don't have to do it free of charge just because of a communication breakdown. I'll pm you my details.

Hi,

Our radiator in the attic has never really gotten particularly warm, especially at the top. We have an excellent combi boiler (about 3 years old) that should handle it no problem. I have tried to bleed the radiator but that hasn't helped. It's not been a major issue as we don't spend much time up there but my folks are coming to stay for Christmas this year and dont want them to freeze!

Any suggestions or helpful people you know of who could possible solve this problem welcome.

Thanks.

Your system will need balancing We will do you this as part of a boiler service (£39 inc vat winter offer)so you don't have to pay out twice

Hi,

Our boiler has never had a problem but recently when it starts up (when water/central heating comes on) the flame starts up straight away but then you can hear this clicking noise and when you look the flame is blowing side ways! It then sounds like its restarting every few seconds for about a fee minutes then its fine.

Our house had its annual gas service last week and although sods law when the guy tested it it didnt do it he said it sounds like the fan (cant remember exactly) so he just sprayed wd40 on top. Obviously as it didnt do it he couldnt see the problem.

Anyway its done it again tonight, some days it does it every time but then it wont do it for a few days. When it did it just then i went in to check after 5 mins of hearing the clicking and the red light for water is on but no flame and no clicking sound. So i turned heating to 'on' and the flame kicked it again, then i turned heating back to 'off' and just left water light on and so far the flames still there and is going upwards with no clicking.

What could it be? Its 'ideal classic LXFF & FF fanned flue gas boiler'

Edited by iphonelover

Hi there I am trying to wire a Siemens wireless stat to a vokera combi boiler. My problem is I don't know how to disconnect the built in one and replace with the receiver. On the receiver I have l and n which is obvious then L1,Lx,and L2 what cables do I connect to these. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks