The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

no..none of my installs suffered from a frozen condensate but i was called out to tons that had frozen.

Thats because if i can i will run the condensate pipe internally. If it has to go outside then i have always stepped up to 32mm pipe. (thats what is recommended as best practice) and you really dont need to lag 32mm pipe..

the problem is when an installer just runs the same 15mm pipe outside. Even sticking pipelagging on it wont stop it from freeezing. Do the same to your properties and i guarantee they will not freeze up. (change from 15mm to 32mm)

andy

To be fair it only happened the once, when we had a night to make polar bears feel at home, I have taken on board what you have said.

now if u had asked how many of my installs froze the year before last winter.....lol....there were a couple but we live and learn

I'm new to the forum so i hope this works !!! I agree with Mickey ET.

If a conventional system has been upgraded properly it should at least contain a 3 port motorised valve or two 2 port valves. Then the boiler will only operate when the switched live becomes live when one of the valves is calling for heat. The permanant live to your old boiler was probabaly a pump over run, the baxi solo doesn't need a pump over run but still has the space for the permanant live wire on the terminal block if you want to install a pump over run.

Cheers kev

Mod note

Threads merged.

Pleas use the search/ prompt facilities when starting a new thread

Hi tricky.

I'm a gas safe registered engineer who is new to the forum.

I would charge around £325 to powerflush your heating system unless it is 8mm or 10mm microbore pipe work. I use the kamco powerflushing machine, which is a great piece of kit. I only use quality kamco cleaning chemicals and crystals. Upon completion 2 bottles of fernox F1 inhibitor would be added to system. To install a magnetic system filter would cost an extra £90. This is recommended as it keeps on protecting your system for years to come with no need to buy any replacement filters.

Cheers Kev (direct gas & heating services) 07789 405751

I charge £300 for a power-flush and it takes several hours. Could fit a magnetic filter for another £100 to help protect the boiler and system too, cheers, Steve

Another recommendation here for Steve.

Its quite a large system so a very good price.

I've met Steve on a couple of jobs and can vouch for him being a decent, honest tradesman.

Thanks for sorting out my boiler electrics today Johnathan. Good job and good price and very pleasant fella!:)

As with all things usually you get what you pay for. Combi's are good for 3-4 bed houses while larger houses will probably require a conventional system with a cylinder as combis are hot water priority and will turn off heating when in shower or bath etc, while you can have heating and hot water on at the same time with a cylinder.

If you would like some advice on what to do or a quote for either type of boiler/system PM me or call on 07946395053

Cheers,

JD

Hi,

can anybody andvice me a plumber that can supply and fit a combi boiler as well as disconnect and remove old water tank and boiler for a fair price?

Cheers,

gabry

Hi.

Our company (PLUMBSTONE.LTD ) do all aspects of boiler installation. We would give you a free no obligation quote. References available if required.

Call George on 07904362803

Dave on 07825711215

Regards

Dave