The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

The quote is for 2 men at approx 10 hours work, it is to install the new boiler in the same location but I am having it turned 90 degrees, it also includes a flush and re balancing of the radiators.

Thanks

As I mentioned above I have had numerous people round and none of them have got back to me, they all seem to run a mile, this is the only guy that as got back to me and I feel uneasy asking him to explain is quote in case he decides he doesn't want to do it either.

Thanks

If no one is getting back to you it might be due to there being an awkward problem with the instillation. I don't know any gas safe people that work on an hourly rate. They tend to give you a price and that is it.

£1500 does sound a tad excessive but in general i would say gas fitters are paid a hell of a lot more than other building trades. It might be worth asking for a written breakdown of the costs to see exactly how much they are charging for labour.

Sounds a bit dear to me just for a "straight swap" (if that's what it is) Get some more quotes

Yep you really need to get someone round that will give you an honest appraisal of your set up/ After all you are paying for a new boiler you need to be confident in who is installing it and that it is the right choice for you.

ask for a full break down of materials or if you want you buy all the materials belive me fittings do add up !! I can work on a labour only policy if you like PM me for rates. and also remeber its not just time you are paying for it is knowledge training and insurance.

Pretty sure I could beat that.....but then I am not Vat registered. As for hourly rates.....the price is for the job.....if the installer does not survey the job properly then it could lead to excessive hours and you may not be prepared to pay for 'unforeseen problems'. And as Micky rightly says.....there is MUCH more than labour to consider ( insurance, registration, transport, endless consumables, programmer, timer, valves, cleanser etc etc, just for a 'simple' install)

I am just interested as I have finally managed to receive a quote for my new boiler after all the recommended Boiler men on here have never got back to me, the quote is for £2,500 + VAT, I have looked the boiler up which they have recommended this is £716 + VAT to purchase let's assume another £300 + VAT is required in pipework which I doubt this leaves £1,500 + VAT labour for one days work, does this sound about right?

Many thanks

Why not view our fixed prices at http://www.oneheating.co.uk

Kind regards

Steve Peacock

Mod Note:-

Threads merged again. Please use the search facility before starting new threads.

Thanks

Ive seen your job and i honestly think the quote is fair i would want more to be honest its not an easy job at all so anyone who can beat that and do it right i will contract all my install work to them lol. Hope all goes well on the job when you have it done cheers jon.

Same here..its not just a straight swop over. i think considering the work the quote is almost on the mark. 2 men working flat out wont get home til its time for bed. Hope it turns out allright for you in the end.

I suppose you could spend 5 years at college part time while doing an apprenticeship then buy a van and insure, tax and test it, buy 2 or 3 grandsworth of tools then throw £4500 at a gas training course then £500 to register with gas safe, then you could do it yourself and tell us all we're charging too much eh?!