The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

to be honest i don't agree with the if it aint broke don't fix it brigade. A new boiler will save you a fortune in the long run, especially if it's a decent combi. in my opinion there are only two real choices as regards brand names. Worcester(built by bosch) and vaillant. these are two of the more expensive kinds but are easiest to install/use and reair if problems arise. It would be best to replace old radiators as well if you can afford it or get the current ones jet flushed to remove sludge from the system. Thermostatic radiator valves(the ones with the numbers on) are great because they allow you to control individual room temperatures. As a rule of thumb, try to avoid the frnch and italian boilers. I work as a repair engineer and seem to be fixing an awful lot of these which are not very old.

Hope this helps.

Thats a great help MaccDave and I wll have the radiators as you suggested. We do have difficulty with the rads in seperate rooms. Thanks for the info.

We have a Valiant high pressure heating system and I would highly recommend it.

I've asked for a new combi boiler to replace my heating appliance (floor-mounted,seperate tank) which is around 18years old, for my 1 bedroomed flat from the council. What do you think my chances are? (No explosive laughter, please). Could I get one on medical grounds do you think? I have Psoriasis which entails me needing a bath each day also got arthritis. Maybe someone on SF works in the appropriate Department.

thanks Littlechick, thats another one to look at

Thanks for the information, very useful, I managed to contact stuart and advised to call Paul a corggi registered on 07738004994

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the information, very useful, I managed to contact stuart and advised to call Paul a corggi registered on 07738004994

not sure if this is in the right place or anythin, but my boiler's playin up. its a combi boiler. theres a little 2 amp fuse inside it, and every time i replace it and turn the power back on, the power works, but as soon as the flame lights, the fuse blows. i went through a 4 pack the other day hoping it would fix. i didnt, lol. any ideas on what it could be? cheers, me hearties.

You're going to need a plumber I think. How old is the boiler, if it's less than 5 years old it may still be under warranty!