The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Hi all, not sure if I have posted in the right place.

if not, SORRY.

If I have, HAPPY DAYS!!

Any way, I have an older style central heating system (not combi boiler) and the hot water tank (situated in a cupboard in the bedroom) has sprung a leak. I believe that the base of the tank has cracked/corroded through as it is an old system.

The house is an ex council 2 bed semi in S6 and I'm looking for a price to supply and fit or just fit a new tank if it cannot be repaired.

Or any advice!!!!

thanks!

James

Same happend to ours a couple of years ago plumber just replaced that tank with a plastic one think it cost about £120

If it's a copper tank remember it has a high scrap value, so you can recoup some of the bill. :)

Make sure that you get the right tank if you are thinking of doing it yourself. I once replaced mine many years ago only to find that the central heating system did not fill up after I had put the water back on. It turned out that I had fitted an indirect copper tank instead of a primatic one. I ended up having to fit a header tank in the loft for the heating, what a nightmare that turned out to be

The age old question - which Boiler to choose. W need one quickly, our ancient boiler is pouring water out and whilst it's maintaining pressure while it's on the pressure drops when it's off which I'm sure is not a good thing! We have been recommended an Ideal - not sure which model- and informally quoted about £1500. The main contenders on this forum seem to be the Ideal logic + and the Baxi but which is best and what would be a rough guesstimate comparison price for them. Any help greatly appreciated! Thank you

Hi, ideal Logic + every time. Fantastic simple boiler with a 7 Year warranty as standard. Don't right your old boiler off yet tho. Might just need the expansion vessel repressuring or somethong?

Give us a call if we can help further.

Regards

Lee

Thanks for that, Medusa. Thhis thread has been closed by me twice, in the last few weeks and it still doesn't seem to have worked.

PT