The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Dizzy chick,

can you give some idea about how much you had to pay for the new boiler installed, as I am in the same situation as you were before.

With a 30 year old gas water heater and a more modern but still old heating boiler. I have 6 radiators too..

My central heating boiler is a good one with powered flu, but my water boiler is terrible I have to keep relighting it and the flu is in the way of what I want to do in the yard.

Thanks a lot Dizzy chick for your very helpful advice. I did wonder how much the cost would be but I suppose it wont be cheap...

My problem with the combi is Ok now thanks to advice on SF

My son increased the water pressure and no more cold showers now .

It's either cured or I'm quicker in the shower.

hazel

The middle of summer is usually a good time to catch central heating companies offering good discounts ;)

A new boiler is best fitted in the summer too - when you won't miss it :D

And don't forget, a new boiler will be far more efficient and cheper to run than your old one, so it'll start saving you money straight away. There are even boilers that run partly on solar power now :)

Thanks Strix and what you say makes sense so I will have time to prepare myself for next summer, if the old boiler keeps on going. The last service the man said everything was fine and the only problem that I may have in the future was getting spares for the boiler.....Cotitani.

We paid £2500 for the boilder, the valves fitted and a new radiator fitted. It was a lot of money and I am sure that we could have got it done cheaper then that. We kept being mucked around by people promising quotes and timescales to fit etc. The whole thing was a nightmare when we had no hot water!! I was just glad to get home and be able to turn the hot tap on!!! The trouble is, buying a new boiler is no where near as fun as buying a new bathroom or furniture. No one wants to admire a new boiler!!!

The people next door paid about the same as you and and they used a Chesterfield firm and they seemed very good. I will have to get some more information from him. You are right about the new bathroom....

We had a Worcester Junior fitted about a year and a half ago with British Gas and it cost £1,908.

It sounds like a good boiler the Worcester, I will certainly look at that one

If it isn't broken don't fix it but being a plumber I can tell you that if you are replacing it you will get what you pay for to a point with any boiler. the cheap ones are a false economy but the better ones are reliable. It would be good to replace it for environmental and efficiency reasons.

combis are not suitable or desirable in all houses, so check first

Thanks acps, someone else said the same as you about fixing something that is not broken. I just worry about a major breakdown in mid winter, still it has not let me down so far. I will take your advice regarding the better class boiler for the future..