The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Hi we do this sort of work but not able to get to you until July which wont help you, one of the other guys will be on soon i would think cheers Jon at JB Heating Services.

Same happened to me last November.

I believe I'm correct in saying you do not have a combi boiler (like was my case).

Think of the costs of your new cylinder & fitting versus a new combi (no cylinder) and the relative savings.

I found better heating speed and efficiency, more shower mixer pressure, and savings in the summer for domestic hot water - heat what you use in an instant, as opposed to having a tank full, on demand just in case you need (and costly heat losses).

Give it some thought before you shell out on a new cylinder!

Mod note

Threads merged, as this megathread already exists for all things Boiler/ heating.

Please use the search facility before starting new threads

Same happened to me last November.

I believe I'm correct in saying you do not have a combi boiler (like was my case).

Think of the costs of your new cylinder & fitting versus a new combi (no cylinder) and the relative savings.

I found better heating speed and efficiency, more shower mixer pressure, and savings in the summer for domestic hot water - heat what you use in an instant, as opposed to having a tank full, on demand just in case you need (and costly heat losses).

Give it some thought before you shell out on a new cylinder!

Not planning on staying here long enough to make an investment in a combi boiler worthwhile. Thanks for the suggestion though

Help, ideas needed: Our Glow Worm 18hxi has recently been serviced and for the last week or two it has started making a strange noise from time to time. The noise is best described like a washing machine turning over slowly, a sort of low whrrrr....whrrrrr....whrrrr, cycling sound. It make this noise when the heating and hot water are actually OFF, and stops and starts the sequence of noises for about 10 to 15 minutes every one or two hours, all day and night. I tried to read pressure but it comes up on display as 8.8 bar - I doubt true and not very helpful (it should be 0.7 to 1.5 I think). I have searched the internet, nothing definite but it might be:

1. Air in the system; suggested solution = turn heating on and hot water on of on off on off etc, then bleed radiator valves.

2. Dirt in system, especially near something important; suggested solution = have system flushed.

3. PCB failed/failing; suggested solution = phone glow worm and tell them little and take the fixed price repair.

Any thoughts out there? I will have to leave it until next week anyway now.

Hi, I've started to have some trouble with my Ideal Logic Combi 30 boiler that was installed in my house in March 2011. The only problem I'm having is that the hot water supply to the mixer shower has gotten a lot weaker over the last month or so, to the point where it's barely possible to get enough for a shower now. The cold supply to the shower is very good and the other hot taps in the house all work fine, including the bathroom basin.

I managed to get this sorted myself at the weekend, following some advice from a plumber friend, so I thought I'd say what we did here in case anyone else has the same problem.

I described the symptoms to my mate and he said it was very likely that the washer in the hot tap needed replacing. I took the tap apart and changed the washer and it helped a bit but it still wasn't right. I noticed the tap gland (the brass bit that's the actual valve in the tap) was covered in limescale and god-knows-what else, so I got a new one from B&Q for about £4. I swapped them over and now it's working as good as new. I'd forgotten just how powerful the shower was when I first put up, so it must've slowed down very gradually over a long time!

The missus was on the verge of insisting I call someone out, so I'm well happy to have fixed it for under a tenner.

My hot water has packed up, as in it is not getting hot, any advice on what to look for would be appreciated. :huh:

I managed to get this sorted myself at the weekend, following some advice from a plumber friend, so I thought I'd say what we did here in case anyone else has the same problem.

I described the symptoms to my mate and he said it was very likely that the washer in the hot tap needed replacing. I took the tap apart and changed the washer and it helped a bit but it still wasn't right. I noticed the tap gland (the brass bit that's the actual valve in the tap) was covered in limescale and god-knows-what else, so I got a new one from B&Q for about £4. I swapped them over and now it's working as good as new. I'd forgotten just how powerful the shower was when I first put up, so it must've slowed down very gradually over a long time!

The missus was on the verge of insisting I call someone out, so I'm well happy to have fixed it for under a tenner.

Glad you got it sorted

Scott

First thing to check is the fuse board or circuit breaker board make sure that you've not blown a fuse or the circuit hasn't tripped out. Does the switch to turn it on have a little red light ? If that isn't on then it's electrical. Sometimes heating elements can fail and so you'll need to get an electrician/plumber in to fit a new one, easy enough to do if the airing cupboard isn't full of clutter

Mod Note

Once again, thread merged with existing thread.

Please use the search facility before starting a new thread