The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

hi,

whats going rate for a combi boiler swap, by gas safe engineer.

ta

Hi happy to call and work you out a free quote

Many thanks Jon at JB Heating Services.

Mod Note

Threads merged, as this dedicated megathread for "All things Boiler/ central heating" already exists.

Hi, I've started to have some trouble with my Ideal Logic Combi 30 boiler that was installed in my house in March 2011. The only problem I'm having is that the hot water supply to the mixer shower has gotten a lot weaker over the last month or so, to the point where it's barely possible to get enough for a shower now. The cold supply to the shower is very good and the other hot taps in the house all work fine, including the bathroom basin.

I've bled the radiators and that's made no difference, but I've noticed that the system pressure is at 1.8 bar when the manual says it should be 1-1.5 bar. The way the problem has come on gradually makes me think something is likely to be failing, which is frustrating as this boiler only comes with a two-year warranty and that expired in March!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the culprit might be and how much it's likely to cost?

Hi if all the taps are fine I would check the internal filters on the shower.

These boilers are great but I only fit the plus ones as that gives you a 5 year warranty for not much extra cash.

As for the 1.8 bar that's fine I would not worry at all about that, if it bothers you though just let some water out of a radiator bleed the pressure will soon drop cheers Jon at JB Heating Services.

Hi Jon, thanks for the quick reply. I should probably have said that it's a mixer tap with a shower attachment, rather than an actual mixer shower. I'm not sure where the internal filters might be, or if I could get at them. The tap/shower is a lot like this one. Can these things be fixed when they get gunked up, or would I need to replace the unit?

I've got a Mira 88 mixer shower which was installed around 5-6 years ago. After around a year I had a similar issue which I resolved by cleaning the filters. The hardest part was turning the water off, as a recall. I think the rubbish I cleaned out was swarf and gunk leftover by the installer.

I've not had to repeat the exercise.

What's the best value for money boiler these day. Mine on its last legs.

Hi my opinion but i would say the Ideal Logic plus 100% value for money and a great warranty.

Great prices at the moment on the Ideal Logic, we are getting them for an amazing price so if you ever require a free quote let me know cheers Jon at

JB Heating Services.

General question please experts- Ferroli combi boiler, we are getting this issue mainly on our shower. Hot water for a minute, cold for 30 seconds, hot again, cold again. Any immediate suggestions?

Boiler is 10 years old. What's an average life expectancy?

Cheers

Jim

General question please experts- Ferroli combi boiler, we are getting this issue mainly on our shower. Hot water for a minute, cold for 30 seconds, hot again, cold again. Any immediate suggestions?

Boiler is 10 years old. What's an average life expectancy?

Cheers

Jim

Hi could be a few things shower if a mixer fault, cartridge, thermostat, filters are the hot taps all working ok ?

Could be thermistors on the boiler but to be honest any ferroli thats done ten years in my opinion has done way over its time, really poor boilers any model i have ever worked with.

Cheers Jon at JB Heating Services.

Good start to the day today :suspect: discovered a slow leak in the hot water cylinder which has soaked the carpets nearby and the floor boards.

In need of a quote for a replacement hot water cylinder as it's not covered by home emergency insurance, any recommendations out there?

It's says Hercal/Range 1050 x 450 4 Grade 1 Anode Single Lagged on the side

Edited by joeldriver