The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

What. BG not being able to diagnose a simple heating problem?

They should be featured on Watchdog.

Oh, hang on a minute........

And they apparently DON'T benefit from new boiler install leads..........oops, it appears they DO, according to Watchdog:D

Shame as i had a fantastic apprentiship with them back in the day when an apprentiship took 4 years.

These days its just component swap instead of diagnose and repair. Have u ever seen a "well known supplier" engineer with dirty hands......:)

LOl, my hands are always grey/green with installing.....my old BG mates rib me rotten in the pub...........but then they have been there since 5:01pm ;-)

Actually think they ARE excellent at diagnosing actual boiler faults, especially combi's that can sometimes be hard to pinpoint, just seems many have not been timeserved installers and therefore have not experienced all the wonders an old system may throw up, especially after several 'up-grades' :)

Agree with Andy and Steve. if British Gas carry on at this rate, the pair of you will have to Remove your "Ex British Gas trained engineer" catch phrases from your signature bar. Lol :hihi:

British Gas and Centrica are not the same, you know.

the head still wags the tail.......

Hi we could take a look on thursday for you at 10am if thats any good to you, im not going to take a guess at the noise but we will know the problem if we see the boiler in person.

If you would like to book in with us please leave the boiler off that morning so it can be checked from cold cheers jon.

Looks like Jonathon sorted the problem. Turning up the pump speed made the noise go away! Many thanks Jonathon.

Looks like Jonathon sorted the problem. Turning up the pump speed made the noise go away! Many thanks Jonathon.

I'd still think about putting a new pump in at some time. preferably before next winter.

Agree with Andy and Steve. if British Gas carry on at this rate, the pair of you will have to Remove your "Ex British Gas trained engineer" catch phrases from your signature bar. Lol :hihi:

Post of the week :hihi:

Ferroli optimax he plus 31 c

Damn this boiler. Had several call outs to them, they often leak like sieves, fill valves jamming etc etc. temperamental as anything. air intake freezes up at the slightest prolonged frost (just when you need heating most) or the condensate drain freezes up, watch out if you've got trees anywhere near them as the burners clog up with the pollen or other 'dander' off them. Don't know how they got them on the market without spotting these problems/faults. And you're right, backup is worse than useless.

Not too many years ago (20-ish) Ferroli seemed ok, then they started farming out control boards; among other problems it resulted in whoosh-fa-BOOM at start-up, they sent out 'new' boards every few weeks, until they solved it (sort of). They've never seemed to get their act together since.

Don't fit one. Stick with Vailants and Baxis etc at least they are get at-able if something fails.

Ask for your money back and get a different one fitted.

Post of the week :hihi:

Why thank you! I try my best. Lol :hihi:

Why thank you! I try my best. Lol :hihi:

Put my 'N-power' installer back on my signature......just to add a little credibility :D

Noisy Boiler

Recently moved into a house thats seems to have a noisy boiler. It works fine but I'm not sure if the noise is anything to be worried about.

I've videoed the boiler in action...exciting eh....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14xPhUAWPa0

Also the house has an extension that has 2 rads which barely get warm, I'm wondering if the boiler is underpowered as it is the same boiler we had in our old house which struggled to heat 11 radiators and in this house its trying to heat 15.

Any thoughts?

Deano