The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

My friend fitted a new boiler for me recently, it was a straight swap. The problem is though, the old boiler had a permanent live cable to it, which my friend wasn't sure what to do with, so at the moment the boiler is being run from a plug point.

Anyone know what needs to be done please?

(Before anyone asks my mate is Gas Safe registered.)

Put a fused switch on the end of the live cable and connect the boiler up to that.

a boiler shouldnt be run from a plug but a fuse switch spur.

is it a combi boiler or a standard system boiler?

Cheers Jon

Hi, yes he just put that on to check its working, Im not using it till gets sorted. Its a non combi boiler, and is a Baxi solo.

does the Heating and hot water system work correctly now its been wired up like that?

Cheers Jon

does the Heating and hot water system work correctly now its been wired up like that?

Cheers Jon

Yes it works absolutely fine.

Downstairs rads full of brown sludge. Worcester Bosch Combi boiler, 17ish radiators in total. Roughly how much would it be to flush the system clean and install some sort of inhibitor to stop it happening again?

+ I need a bit of burst pipe to an outside tap replacing.

hi i reckon the costs could be between £400-£700 to do it properly. Sent you a pm Cheers Jon

I charge £300 for a power-flush and it takes several hours. Could fit a magnetic filter for another £100 to help protect the boiler and system too, cheers, Steve

sorry but your "gas safe" mate should really know the basics of heating system electrics. The permanaent live to the old boiler would have run from the Honeywell "10 box" which is usually placed in the airing cupboard alongside the cylinder and valves. there should be a 3amp fuse switch in there as well.

The safest thing to do would be just to install another 3amp fused switch spur on the end of that live and then run a feed to the boiler from that.

andy

sorry but your "gas safe" mate should really know the basics of heating system electrics. The permanaent live to the old boiler would have run from the Honeywell "10 box" which is usually placed in the airing cupboard alongside the cylinder and valves. there should be a 3amp fuse switch in there as well.

The safest thing to do would be just to install another 3amp fused switch spur on the end of that live and then run a feed to the boiler from that.

andy

Thanks for that, do the regs say that there must be a certain distance between the boiler and fuse box that you are aware of?

not wanting to quote for the job myself as i am gettin a bit stuck for time coming upto christmas,, taking on smaller jobs to fill gaps !!!!

but just thought id comment,, £300 from corgigasman is a very good price,,

dont know the fella so its not a plug,, just a good price !!!!!

£300 for 17 rads is a very good price.The other option is taking each rad off and flushing through with a hose then re-fitting, adding a system cleaner, running heating for a few days then draining and re-filling and adding an inhibitor. A plumber would probably charge a lot more than £300 for this!

Yep good fair price from corgigasman. Take it.