The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Pretty common problem. Almost certainly expansion vessel (or pipe to it), vessel may just need re-pressuring or replacing...if pipe to it is blocked this may need clearing. Good practice is also to replace the PRV (pressure release valve) at the same time, this is the device that is discharging.....once activated they tend to drip. You can check vessel yourself if it is accessible ....look over the top of the boiler at the back, you should see a dust cap exactly the same as on a car/bike tyre. Undo the cap and give the valve a little press......if water comes out a new vessel is required, .....if air 'whizzes' out then suspect blocked pipe.....if no air/just a weak puff comes out then needs charging.....this can be done with a foot pump....pressure up to about 1 bar

Might give you a ring to come and have a butchers if that's ok? I'm pretty handy but tend to leave gas appliances alone for obvious reasons!! :)

You could also go for an external expansion vessel which is usually cheaper

Hi all,

We need to get our gas fire and boiler service done ASAP. Can anyone recommend someone reputable and/or a rough guide to how much it would cost?

Many thanks :)

hello...can highly recommend Jon. his forum user name is; JBradleybz

Jubilee gas services at attercliffe are excellent and reasonable

Hi all,

We need to get our gas fire and boiler service done ASAP. Can anyone recommend someone reputable and/or a rough guide to how much it would cost?

Many thanks :)

wed be able to come do the fire and boiler service for you if you havent already got sorted. Please give us a ring Cheers Jon

I am just interested as I have finally managed to receive a quote for my new boiler after all the recommended Boiler men on here have never got back to me, the quote is for £2,500 + VAT, I have looked the boiler up which they have recommended this is £716 + VAT to purchase let's assume another £300 + VAT is required in pipework which I doubt this leaves £1,500 + VAT labour for one days work, does this sound about right?

Many thanks

That is too much if you're just getting the boiler done (no new rads or anything). I paid £1800 (inc VAT). The boiler was £900 (inc VAT).

£300 for pipe work seems a lot by the way! Unless you're doing a lot of re-routing - this would also explain the extra labour.

I wish that trades people would just give you an honest hourly rate. I recently paid an electrician £22 per hour so I wouldn't expect to pay a boiler man any more than that.

It took two guys 1 day to fit the boiler in my house - say at most 20 man hours in total - that should be 440 + VAT for labour + 900 for the boiler + 200 for other materials = 1628. They also had to make use of a sparky which may explain the remainder. I wouldn't pay any more than I did.

Edited by TimmyR

I am just interested as I have finally managed to receive a quote for my new boiler after all the recommended Boiler men on here have never got back to me, the quote is for £2,500 + VAT, I have looked the boiler up which they have recommended this is £716 + VAT to purchase let's assume another £300 + VAT is required in pipework which I doubt this leaves £1,500 + VAT labour for one days work, does this sound about right?

Many thanks

why not get a couple of other quotes so you can compare? id ask the guy how much of the amount is for labour costs. we had a new one fitted a few years ago and our total cost for it was about £3000 but this included new radiators in all the rooms.

As I mentioned above I have had numerous people round and none of them have got back to me, they all seem to run a mile, this is the only guy that as got back to me and I feel uneasy asking him to explain is quote in case he decides he doesn't want to do it either.

Thanks

Keep trying it may just be a busy period with winter approaching.