The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Hi, I have a Sabre Condensing Combi, Manufactured by Vokera.

It has packed up again in CH mode. I think it appears to be just a APS fault, or maybe a thermister, but I just can't identify it 100%

The boiler fires up and operates as it should for about 15 mins, then trips on tempary fault (green flashing light 0.5 secs) after about another 10 mins it alarms out (on solid red light) indicating limit thermostat fault (so the book says)'

I have had a similar fault before which turned out to be debris in the Flue Fan assembly, but this appears clear as do the pipes to the APS.

Also, and it may be connected, I have air in the system that I can't get out. The boiler is located in the loft. I have drained the system and gradually fefilled, bleeding the radiators as I go, and the AAV in the boiler appears to function well up to a certain point. however there is a little air always left which never gets bled. obviously this plays havoc with the pressure.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I live in the Greenhill area: Any recommendations?

I agree it could be the thermistor but one to watch out for on this boiler is the fan it appears to run but isn't running correctly only a service engineer will know how to check this. I've done about three of theses on the sabre (but not the compact and there the same boiler ).

I agree it could be the thermistor but one to watch out for on this boiler is the fan it appears to run but isn't running correctly only a service engineer will know how to check this. I've done about three of theses on the sabre (but not the compact and there the same boiler ).

Yes I agree Mickey, we've done a couple of these fans for the same reason also.

Dan

City Wide Heating Services

OK, thanks guys.

I didn't mention that when i run the boiler with the air chamber cover removed, it runs for 10/15 mins, then temp faults for 5/10 mins, and then fires up again for 10/15 mins etc etc.

This suggests to me that it may be more to do with the flue/aps, but i may be barking up the wrong tree altogether.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Hi just wonder someone can help with two problems with my boiler:

1. the hot water and heating will come on at the same time which is quite annoying;

2. the control/timer thing doesn't work and I have to cut off the power every time.

anyone has ideas about what's wrong? Many thanks.

Would be pleased to come and have a look at this for you.

Thanks

Pete

OK, thanks guys.

I didn't mention that when i run the boiler with the air chamber cover removed, it runs for 10/15 mins, then temp faults for 5/10 mins, and then fires up again for 10/15 mins etc etc.

This suggests to me that it may be more to do with the flue/aps, but i may be barking up the wrong tree altogether.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

First of all please do not run the boiler with the combustion cover removed, only a qualified gas engineer should remove the combustion cover, running the boiler without it could lead to serious problems with CO etc.

The fact that the boiler does run in this way could mean a air pressure switch or flue problem but as Mickey ET said it is just as likely to be the fan which is faulty. If you haven't already arranged for anyone to visit I'd be happy to take a look for you, unfortunately it would have to be next week as we are fully booked for the rest of this week and weekend.

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the advice. Just to reassure you, I don't run it with the combustion cover off, I am aware of the safety issues, just ran it while trying to identify the fault

I am a mechanical engineer, so I don't like to be beaten if it's a mechanical fault.

Cheers

Justin

Has anyone got a Ferolli combi boiler fitted in their home?

We have had 4 quotes for full central heating system fitting and the most favourable inludes this make of boiler.

As we have never heard of this make just wondered if it is any good before we make our final decision.

Put it on the 'Boiler Megathread' in Property.

You'll get some advice there!!

We have had 4 quotes for full central heating system fitting and the most favourable inludes this make of boiler.

As we have never heard of this make just wondered if it is any good before we make our final decision.

Thanks have done as you advised.

Hi, it wouldn't be my first choice personally. If you can afford it I would pay a little more for either vaillant, worcester bosch, baxi or the new ideal logic+(which includes a five year guarantee- ideal's previous combi, the ISAR rightly had a bad reputation but the logic seems much better so far)

If you'd like any more advice please give me a call anytime

Thanks

Dan