The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Alpha 240 e has electronic ignition the pilot only lights when there is a call for hot water or central heating.

Always replacing leaking PRV's on these things... pressurise the boiler to 1 bar then wrap a bag around the discharge pipe outside....after a few hours if there is any water / ice in it then prv needs changing.

Gurgling is probably from air in the system cos when water leaks out air is drawn in

Totally agree :D

Remember its a myson midas Steve. On these old boilers i think that there are 3 thermisters in wet pockets. 1 in the c/h side and 2 in the dhw side if i remember. All of them will need changing as they all work in tandem sending a pulsed signal back to the pcb. So, OP will need isolate and drain down.

Hi guys

As advised, solated and drained down...fitted all thermisters.

Still, system is playing up. Switched off DHW with CH switched on continuous...goes through the cycle perfectly. Central heating pump on, main burner on and fan at high speed. Only problem is the gas rate doesn't seem to modulate to maintain the selected temp...it seems to run at a constant high rate unless i use the timer to switch on and off.

Modulating coil?

Thank you everyone.

I can't see any external pipes for the heating! I live in Hillsborough but got in contact with someone on here to come look at it in the morning. (ignitegas]

Hi guys

As advised, solated and drained down...fitted all thermisters.

Still, system is playing up. Switched off DHW with CH switched on continuous...goes through the cycle perfectly. Central heating pump on, main burner on and fan at high speed. Only problem is the gas rate doesn't seem to modulate to maintain the selected temp...it seems to run at a constant high rate unless i use the timer to switch on and off.

Modulating coil?

PCB maybe ?

Hey guys, I'm after some help. I have a Baxi Solo & my pilot light won't stay lit. I've searched this thread and not really managed to answer my question but I think it might not be earthed right and thus tripping out. I know nothing of boilers and I'm frankly scared of them (cus gas is invisible and explodes, don't worry I don't smell or suspect gas). Its always worked, never known the pilot light go out before even.

So it lights, you hold in the button for 10 secs or so and then it should stay lit but it goes out after a couple seconds after that. I've managed to get it lit a couple of times today, once by luck and then once by hitting it out of frustration :suspect:

So I took some photos: (used my phone so no flash so sorry about poor quality)

This one is the inside instructions

This is the boiler

This is where I think the problem is. I think the third one from the left is the earth? That is kinda sticking out, not moved it myself but I can't seem to get the screw bolt in and it has lit with it like that. It pulls out and goes back into the same position but doesn't seem to fully fit in but I'm sure it was like that before. When I hit it in frustration I think I kinda bent the wire and it looks as though the cooper is nearly broken. You can see better on this photo what I am on about.

So I don't think its a major thing and happy to have a go myself if I can't do much harm. I would be happy to pay something out to get someone to do whatever needs doing but I am extremely poor so can't afford too much of a big job. I live in Norton, S8 for any local fixer type people... Sorry for the long thread.

I'm a bit nearer you than Steve (corgigasman), but am quite busy today. could poss squeeze you in and have a thermocouple in van. Your looking at £45 minimum.

I think we should all put to for a 4 x 4 and share it for this weather lol

I was thinking the same thing myself

I'm a bit nearer you than Steve (corgigasman), but am quite busy today. could poss squeeze you in and have a thermocouple in van. Your looking at £45 minimum.

That'd be excellent. PM Sent.

Mr Peacock sorted me out - fast, cheap, efficient and knowledgeable! Thanks again! :thumbsup:

Mr Peacock sorted me out - fast, cheap, efficient and knowledgeable! Thanks again! :thumbsup:

your welcome. Happy to help. :)

alpha 240 will be prv or expansion vessell.

You're right Micky. Solution is to drain down, remove and clean out expn vessel hose, re-presurise expn vessel, install new prv. Re-fill and keep your fingers crossed cos you just know the low water pressure switch will go t*ts up....:)

Gota love Alpha's...........