The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

I had a condesing combi fitted nearly 18 months ago. Very pleased in all, but It's a pain if I'm having a shower and someone turns the washing machine on or runs a tap. Not seen any benefit when it comes to paying the gas bill though.

I had a condesing combi fitted nearly 18 months ago. Very pleased in all, but It's a pain if I'm having a shower and someone turns the washing machine on or runs a tap. Not seen any benefit when it comes to paying the gas bill though.

You should have noticed a difference in your gas bill which varies depending on what system you had in the first place. Most people dont realise that if your condensiog combi isn't set up right, you wont be getting the efficiency its capable of. The radiators need to be sized and balanced so that the return temp of water back to the boiler is as low as possible. This helps keep the boiler in condensing mode and thus giving optimum efficiency.

You may not have particularly noticed the fuel saving but new boilers are much more efficient and conventional boilers have to heat a cylinder for the H/W so you will have saved but it has been cold lately so heating is on constantly and fuel prices continually rise in big steps. The one major downside to combi's is that hot and cold come from the mains supply and you only have a finite flow rate so it is inevitable that when two or more outlets are open simultaneously they will compete for the same supply and usually one will be 'robbed' of flow. Typically an upstairs shower will lose out to a cold supply open downstairs, this is why proper advice is required before any installation, so the customer is aware of ALL the pros and cons and can then make their own informed decision,

Steve

Frozen condensates is a big problem with W/B's Steve especially the greenstars. Week before last WB service engineers attended 12000 callouts all due to frozen condensates. I think they are going to be busy again this week..... (mate i trained with at BG is now a service eng for Worcester).

Agree about their customer support.

Ah right okay. Well thanks anyway, you've been extremely helpful :D

won't get a 5 year guarantee on a Ecotec Pro.... if its installed by a Gas safe enginners its just 2 yrs parts and 1 year labour.

If the budget will stretch i'd go for the Ecotec Plus 831 and if fitted by a Vaillant approved installer will get 5 yrs guarantee.

won't get a 5 year guarantee on a Ecotec Pro.... if its installed by a Gas safe enginners its just 2 yrs parts and 1 year labour.

If the budget will stretch i'd go for the Ecotec Plus 831 and if fitted by a Vaillant approved installer will get 5 yrs guarantee.

New government scheme gives a £400 voucher, off the cost of a new boiler if your old boiler (in working order) is G rated in terms of efficiency.

Just wanted to say a HUGE thankyou to both Uksmurf and Corgigasman for coming to my rescue yesturday. Two very helpful, friendly guys. Highly reccommend them both.

The boiler is working perfectly and we are all toasty warm again.

Emma x

Edited by em2656

Just wanted to say a HUGE thankyou to both Uksmurf and Corgigasman for coming to my rescue yesturday. Two very helpful, friendly guys. Highly reccommend them both.

The boiler is working perfectly and we are all toasty warm again.

Emma x

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated. Just glad to help, cheers, Steve

I woke up worrying about you in this crazy snow, Emma. (Ok, kinda weird to wake up worrying about a stranger, I know.) Glad you're warm again! Go Uksmurf and Corgigasman!

like every one else says it depends on what house you have. my opion would be to get a least three quotes and get advice off all of them and choose which you think is the best option for you.

I woke up worrying about you in this crazy snow, Emma. (Ok, kinda weird to wake up worrying about a stranger, I know.) Glad you're warm again! Go Uksmurf and Corgigasman!

Lucky it wasn't today, can't even get out of stocksbridge never mind reach hillsborough, lol:D

Lucky it wasn't today, can't even get out of stocksbridge never mind reach hillsborough, lol:D

Got my warm clothes on and walked to a job this morning armed with a rucksack and a few tools. Repaired boiler (turned out to be a partially blocked pilot injector). Back home now twiddling my thumbs. :( lol