The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

You might have more luck if you post this here........http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=127757&highlight=boiler+megathread

I'll PM you the name of a good guy, in case he's available tomorrow. Our boiler has a habit of dying, and I have a habit of checking all the secondhand shops on Abbeydale/London road for oil-filled heater/radiators for emergencies. Managed to get a few cheap over the weeks (cheapest was a fiver and it's great - kept the kidlets warm all night).

CAN SOMEONE ADVISE ON GAS FIRE SURROUND??

Hi

tried Sheffieldforum before when looking for a new boiler, that was very helpful at the time so I am hoping there is someone out there who can advise me on gas fire surrounds.

We have a gas fire installed with surround, stone base and all that, but we find that the whole lot is far too big for our front room and takes up too much space, so we were wondering whether we could just take the fire surround out and just leave the back panel - and my question is, can you take the bottom base out (some dark heavy stone like granit or marble) and maybe fit some smaller slates or so instead or is there some regulation that says with a gas fire you need to have this big base???

I'd really appreciate some advice here - thanks!

Hi again, just figured out I mean the hearth when I talk about the base - and it is a coal effect gas fire

Most fires that sit in an opening require a hearth by law (think regulation is 50cm deep off top of my head but would need to check), this is UNLESS the manufacturers instructions state otherwise, MI then prevail over 'general' gas regs. You really need to check your instructions but I would suspect that with that fire you are stuck with a deep hearth, sorry. Hope this has been of some help, Steve

Evening all, my lovely boiler is throwing a strop and refusing to work.

It's a Worcester - Bosch Greenstar 28i junior. It had no pressure at all and therefore we have no heating or hot water. I believe this model has an integrated filling loop, so I am unable to re-pressurise it myself, as I do not habe the annoying little gadet for undoing the stupid bolt thingys (hahaha technical term!), that hold the boiler cover on.

So if there are any boiler engineers out there or if you know of any who would be able to come over and help sort it out. I and my 3 very cold children would be very, very grateful.

I am not expecting free help, but as a full time student and mother of 3, post christmas, boiler repairs were not a part of my budget :(

( how do boilers always know to break down when it's flipping freezing???)

Thanks Emma x

Yes, its an annoying little key on Worcesters that 'clicks' into the pull-down panel for 'safe' keeping .....yet they invariable go walkies. You can order a new key through a distributor or consider fitting an external filling loop if the pipework below the boiler is accessible (ie not boxed in/hidden away). I could quote for external filling loop if you would like, cheers, Steve

Hang on a minute...............

I HAVE A KEY THINGY!!!!

Oh please still be online, please, please, please

What exactly do i do with it?????????

Still awake?? Look under boiler. You should see a socket (maybe blue, it is on some). Push key in and turn it half a turn, like a light bulb bayonet fitting. NEXT to the socket there is a valve head (think it is a white hexagonal plastic thing). Turn the valve anti-clockwise and you should hear water gushing in. If the boiler is OFF watch the black needle on the pressure gauge until it goes to 1.0 - 1.5 bar. Stop filling at this point by turning valve clock-wise. Noise of water filling should stop. Remove key by twisting it half a turn and pulling it out....it may be a little stiff and there WILL be a dribble of water. Switch boiler on and should now work.

What you really need to know is why pressure dropped. Have you had any rads off or have you been bleeding rads or have you noticed any water dribbling out of that copper pipe that goes outside behind the boiler?? If none then may be a hidden leak but hopefully may be ok now.

Any problems let me know...and good luck, cheers,

Steve

Edited by corgigasman
spelling ### lol

Most fires that sit in an opening require a hearth by law (think regulation is 50cm deep off top of my head but would need to check), this is UNLESS the manufacturers instructions state otherwise, MI then prevail over 'general' gas regs. You really need to check your instructions but I would suspect that with that fire you are stuck with a deep hearth, sorry. Hope this has been of some help, Steve

Thanks for your reply Steve, that is just what I was worried about, so seems like we are stuck with this hearth.

Hey, just wondered if someone can help me :) (well my mum and dad :hihi:)

So, went to store (don't want to name names :)) today and was about to pick up an Alpha, and was told by 3 plumbers that there not very good and that they would recommend a Vaillant 28 Ecotech Pro 28? I've being looking everywhere for one, but I was wanting to pick it up in store in the next few days ideally, All the prices instore are around £1200, but online they're like £700, so does anybody know where I can get one for around this price instead?

Long story short, looking for a Vaillant 28 Ecotec Pro 28 for around £700 please.

Thanks in advance :)

Hey, just wondered if someone can help me :) (well my mum and dad :hihi:)

So, went to store (don't want to name names :)) today and was about to pick up an Alpha, and was told by 3 plumbers that there not very good and that they would recommend a Vaillant 28 Ecotech Pro 28? I've being looking everywhere for one, but I was wanting to pick it up in store in the next few days ideally, All the prices instore are around £1200, but online they're like £700, so does anybody know where I can get one for around this price instead?

Long story short, looking for a Vaillant 28 Ecotec Pro 28 for around £700 please.

Thanks in advance :)

I dont understand why you would want the hassle of sourcing the boiler yourself. Most of the engineers on here get trade discounts that im sure would be passed onto you. Unless your a qualified, and gas safe registered engineer, your not gonna be able to fit it yourself anyway.

The price online may not include the other bits you need, i.e. flue, programmer etc, and it does sound cheap for that boiler.

I would avoid Alpha at the minute as they have a few technical issues at the minute. I would definately recommend Viessmann, Vaillant, Baxi, oh and worcester if you must (not my favourite due to their rubbish warranty repair service at the minute)

I would personally get a quote for supply & fit, and if you like, fit only, that way you'll see which is cheaper. Unless you've got someone silly cheap to fit it, it will definately be cheaper to get it supplied and fitted.

Steve Peacock

I dont understand why you would want the hassle of sourcing the boiler yourself. Most of the engineers on here get trade discounts that im sure would be passed onto you. Unless your a qualified, and gas safe registered engineer, your not gonna be able to fit it yourself anyway.

The price online may not include the other bits you need, i.e. flue, programmer etc, and it does sound cheap for that boiler.

I would avoid Alpha at the minute as they have a few technical issues at the minute. I would definately recommend Viessmann, Vaillant, Baxi, oh and worcester if you must (not my favourite due to their rubbish warranty repair service at the minute)

I would personally get a quote for supply & fit, and if you like, fit only, that way you'll see which is cheaper. Unless you've got someone silly cheap to fit it, it will definately be cheaper to get it supplied and fitted.

Steve Peacock

I'm not fitting it :hihi:. A few of the people who would be told us to get the boiler ourselves? Hmm. I've got a quote for the Vaillant for £820 including VAT and the flue and everything, and that seems about average at the moment. They seem to not want to do it though, but the one who came round tonight said he would get the Vaillant for us and fit it all, so seems to be getting sorted now.

Remember its a myson midas Steve. On these old boilers i think that there are 3 thermisters in wet pockets. 1 in the c/h side and 2 in the dhw side if i remember. All of them will need changing as they all work in tandem sending a pulsed signal back to the pcb. So, OP will need isolate and drain down.

They are indeed all wet pocket sensors. On the Hot water side there is a flow sensor and an inlet sensor. I dunno about them all changing at once. You may be right, and I suppose it would be less hassle to drain down once and change all 3. Watch it turn out to be PCB anyway. Good job he has a doner boiler.

I'm not fitting it :hihi:. A few of the people who would be told us to get the boiler ourselves? Hmm. I've got a quote for the Vaillant for £820 including VAT and the flue and everything, and that seems about average at the moment. They seem to not want to do it though, but the one who came round tonight said he would get the Vaillant for us and fit it all, so seems to be getting sorted now.

I personally try to avoid jobs where customer is supplying, unless it is someone I know well. Jobs run more efficiently and are more cost effective if the professional gas engineer has control over the materials.

When you give a customer a price for labour only and they get the materials part wrong it holds everything up, and if you've priced it competitively, it eats into your hard earned profit. Maybe thats why some turned you down.

Glad to hear your getting it sorted. Remember you need to have the old pipework power flushed and inhibited, and TRV's fitted on all radiators to satisfy the requirements of part L of the building regs.

PS the Vaillant is a wise choice, and should be keeping you reliably warm hassle free for the next 5 - 10 years.

Steve Peacock