The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Yep, it's gettig cold, and as such, it's another boiler problem!

My bolier seems to only work when it wants to.

7 times out of ten, the pilot light comes on, the gas burner lights, but it doesn't light all the way. It doesn't go "woof", if you know what I mean. The radiators get VERY slightly warm, but nothing like normal temperature. It's like the thermostat is knackered, and it thinks it's hotter than it actually is. It will also do this with the hot water. The water is either luke warm, or lovely and piping hot.

The heating WILL work sometimes, and everything is peachy, but most of the time, it just decides it doesn't want to get hot. Like tonight, it's bloody freezing!

Any ideas as to what may be wrong? Is it the thermostat (as I suspect?)

Myson Midas SFi.

Works fine..but!! central heating even set at it's lowest, is running very hot.

Hot water side not effected.

Any ideas? Anyone.

Could come and have a look tommorow I'm only down the road ;-)

Could come and have a look tommorow I'm only down the road ;-)

Who you talking to Mickey? Myself or Alien?

Who you talking to Mickey? Myself or Alien?

I don't think it's me GM...I live miles from Mos. Darnal is just "down the road" from Mos.

I have a Britony FlexiFlue combi boiler that has decided not to allow me to light it anymore. The ignition mech seems to be jammed. When I turn the controller to spark the pilot it just jams up. How much woud it cost for one of you to pop out and replace it for me?

Gremlin and alien I can cover both if you like cover all sheffield ;-)

I agree with AtiAerials! It's only over the last couple of days that we've been using our central heating much, but the blinking boiler has developed a fault. It's a Worcester-Bosch 24Si II, and the fault indicator light keeps coming on and flashing fast (according to the user instructions this means that it has an appliance fault). The fault first occurred when we had our heating on all evening and then went to have a bath before bed. The hot water was ok at first but then went cold and when I checked the boiler the light was flashing. I switched it off over night and it worked again in the morning, but the next day we had exactly the same problem (and it's done it again today).

Does anybody have any advice? I think it might be overheating or the pressure getting too high because it only happens when the heating and water are being used heavily.

Help!

Thanks,

Alex

Help with deciding how to approach a central heating system / boiler in potential new home??

Hi there, we are first time buyers and buying a property which has gas central heating, including an Ideal combi boiler which is 12 years old (my partner couldn't find a product code unfortunately when he visited again this morning, tho he has taken a picture!). The system has been drained, as the property has been empty for 1yr+. I have a couple of questions, not being remotely clued-up on all-things-boilers...

1) What would we likely have to do to get it working again when we move in? Will a service do this? What will the likely cost be?

2) How often should this kind of boiler be replaced? This has an installation date of 1997 on it... Are we likely approaching a time after this long period where we start having problems?

3) How much should we expect to buy a new boiler? It is a very small 2 bed terrace, with radiators in kitchen, living room, 2 bedrooms and bathroom.

4) Would we likely only need a new boiler, not any work doing to pipework, etc?

5) Anyone know any reputable plumbers who would undertake the necessary work in the north of Sheffield? (Thurlstone, near Penistone, S36)

Thanks so much for any help! Bit clueless on this one... :-(