The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Thanks for the replies, we are in S9 triangle estate...if it is the gas valve we will be boiling water an living in sleeping bags until next winter!!

Try talking to the guys in PDQ, Jessops Riverside, Brightside Lane, S9.

Very helpfull.

or parts center in darnall, coleford rd business center. 01142426068

however they will not sell gas carrying parts to non corgi people..

Ones £250ish + vat, the other £375++++++++ (from memory).

jesus where are you buying from?

been to a fuelsaver with similar fault. Traced to a faulty solenoid on the gas valve which was shutting down when it had been running hot for a while. Replaced (solenoid costs about £25) and all ok.

So it may not need a new gas valve.

Thanks for all the advise. I will get someone out to look at it, then we can take it from there! Any suggestions for a plumber? jl-heating and Complete-heat, I presume you are plumbers??

Why Not try ignite gas services off the forum there local to you.;)

Had someone come out on Saturday, and they have suggested that it may be the over heat stat (can't properly remember what it was called). However yesterday the heating and water were on all day, without the pilot light extinguishing......mysterious. I reckon it needs a good service and then take it from there!

I said over heat stat last week. Will be working for now as wires will have been disturbed.

Ah, I was hoping your visit had scared it into behaviour! Neverless it was good to have some heat yesterday! Ready when you are to get it repaired!

In my house I have an old back boiler (Baxi, but can't recall exact model) which is situated behind a pretty old fashioned gas fire in my kitchen/dining room, with a water tank in a cupboard in the second bedroom. I believe the boiler is around 15 years old and I know it's completely inefficient as my utility bills are pretty high. The boiler also sounds like a plane taking off while it's on and interferes with my DAB radio and my son's baby monitor, which is really annoying. I seriously expect it to give up the ghost any time, so would like to look at replacing it before that happens.

Ideally I'd like to get the boiler replaced with a combi, and have the water tank removed to free up the cupboard space. It's a 3 bed semi - does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to do this? I could also do with some recommendations of people/companies to get quotes from please.

Thanks,

CC x

In my house I have an old back boiler (Baxi, but can't recall exact model) which is situated behind a pretty old fashioned gas fire in my kitchen/dining room, with a water tank in a cupboard in the second bedroom. I believe the boiler is around 15 years old and I know it's completely inefficient as my utility bills are pretty high. The boiler also sounds like a plane taking off while it's on and interferes with my DAB radio and my son's baby monitor, which is really annoying. I seriously expect it to give up the ghost any time, so would like to look at replacing it before that happens.

Reply Sent to your PM

Thanks

Mike

Please advise

We had no pressure in our boiler recently and was shown how to recity this. I put the pressure to just over 1/2 bar and now I have put the thermostat to 80 degrees, the pressure has risen to nearly 3 bar which i know is way too much and am scared of damaging the parts in the boiler. I have tried to bleed the radiators to bring the pressure down to no avail. The boiler is a Ferrolli Modena 360