The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Hi,

I've got a Worcester Heatslave 9.24 which has stopped working. No CH or hot water. It did this a couple of months ago and I got it going again after some frustration by giving it a good whack but it's not working this time. The pilot light is on but that's about it; I have looked all over but can't see a pressure gauge anywhere or see the filler loop.

I'm not great at DIY though and can't find any manuals anywhere to point me in the right direction. From what I've read online it's a pretty old boiler and parts are getting hard to come by so I was just wondering if it was worth trying to get it fixed or if I should just get a replacement?

Thanks,

Leanne

Post what area your in leanne. It could be something quick if your local i can come uot and have a look for you.

Hi Everyone,

Too many pages to read so apologies if this has been answered.

Had a Valliant condensing boiler fitted 3 yrs ago with a Siemens remote control for timer, it has got a mind of its own and does what it wants when it wants.

Im out at work all day so set the temp to 5 degrees however odd times when I have come home in the middle of the day its 19/20 degrees (my evening time temp) and in the early hours of the morning 4-5am the thing starts up and gets up to 19/20. Also when on holiday it has a holiday setting which again set at 5 degrees, my neighbour who comes in to close curtains shift post etc commented how warm house was.

I asked a friend and he has similar problem, I assume there is some sort of timer on boiler that links up to remote? or do I need to get someone out, seems daft just to set a remote but how much money am I wasting?

Can anyone recommend somebody to install a gas fire (including hearth and surround)?

Can anyone recommend somebody to install a gas fire (including hearth and surround)?

What area are you in and what type of surround ?

Hi Everyone,

Had a Valliant condensing boiler fitted 3 yrs ago with a Siemens remote control for timer, it has got a mind of its own and does what it wants when it wants.

Im out at work all day so set the temp to 5 degrees however odd times when I have come home in the middle of the day its 19/20 degrees (my evening time temp) and in the early hours of the morning 4-5am the thing starts up and gets up to 19/20. Also when on holiday it has a holiday setting which again set at 5 degrees, my neighbour who comes in to close curtains shift post etc commented how warm house was.

I asked a friend and he has similar problem, I assume there is some sort of timer on boiler that links up to remote? or do I need to get someone out, seems daft just to set a remote but how much money am I wasting?

If it were me I'd fit the valliant clock much better than the siemans one.

What area are you in and what type of surround ?

I'm in Hillsborough. Its an Agnews Anson Integra half polish suite with own coal effect gas fire. The surround is MDF(haven't got full details of make to hand) and it'll be sitting on a black tiled hearth. I believe we may need a flue liner as well.

Hi Everyone,

the digital 1`s are pants, no one can work them .

2 options set it to 24 hr and control it with the room stat this is how we set them up for the old people...or bridge the connections and fit an external wireless programmable room stat..

I'm in Hillsborough. Its an Agnews Anson Integra half polish suite with own coal effect gas fire. The surround is MDF(haven't got full details of make to hand) and it'll be sitting on a black tiled hearth. I believe we may need a flue liner as well.

horrible jobs dropping a liner in Hillsborough, a lot of the houses have upstairs flues so there is usually a fair bit of chopping out to do.

if you do go that way .. fit a fire box to it makes a better job.

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/174.asp

I'm getting a combi boiler fitted but I've heard that you have to have TVR's fitted to all radiators in the house when you have one put in is this true? The plumber hasnt mentioned it and none of our radiators have them at all.

I'm getting a combi boiler fitted but I've heard that you have to have TVR's fitted to all radiators in the house when you have one put in is this true? The plumber hasnt mentioned it and none of our radiators have them at all.

Its not compulsory, but it IS best practice for the installer to make your house as energy efficient as possible.

I always include system flush, trv's in all rooms (apart from the 1 with the room stat), wireless programmable room stat, pipe lagging when i quote.

I'm now starting to recommend a magnaclean is fitted during the install.

Important is to make sure a decent reliable combi gets installed.

Perhaps your plumber has only quoted for a 'straight' combi swap. At the end of the day you have accepted his quote. If you want trv's then you will have to re-negotiate the price.

My Old Boiler is a Heat only Unit. Hot and cold water tanks are in the attic, and feed a power shower.

The system works fine, but I am concious it is old. Is is worth replacing just the boiler, with a more effiecient unit ? or is it better to have a combi nowadays ?

How much should I budget for A: Straight swap ? and B: full new system ?

House is a Victorian Terrace with 3 bedrooms, 4 floors and 6 radiators ( none in attic ) and a cellar room with a radiator.

Thanks

horrible jobs dropping a liner in Hillsborough, a lot of the houses have upstairs flues so there is usually a fair bit of chopping out to do.

if you do go that way .. fit a fire box to it makes a better job.

Thanks for the response JL. Unfortunately I wont be fitting it myself as I dont know one end of a chimney from the other. (It gets very smoky in our house for some reason!). I will pass on your advice to whoever I eventually do find to fit it.