Sheffield Groups - anyone fancy a parents and children one?

Seeing all the threads on babies and kids, nappies and birthday parties, birth announcements and cries for help, I got to wondering if one of the groups in Sheffield Groups should be a Parent and Child group...though frankly there has to be a better name - I used to be a devoted member of the Bad Mother's Club, for instance.

Anyway, I put this suggestion forward to our lovely mods a few weeks ago (not a criticism!) and as I realise it takes some tme to set these things up, and it's quite difficult, I presume they need to know it's worth it. So...would anyone else be interested in this?

And if so, can you please think up a better name, lol? All suggestions welcome...

Seeing all the threads on babies and kids, nappies and birthday parties, birth announcements and cries for help, I got to wondering if one of the groups in Sheffield Groups should be a Parent and Child group...though frankly there has to be a better name - I used to be a devoted member of the Bad Mother's Club, for instance.

Anyway, I put this suggestion forward to our lovely mods a few weeks ago (not a criticism!) and as I realise it takes some tme to set these things up, and it's quite difficult, I presume they need to know it's worth it. So...would anyone else be interested in this?

And if so, can you please think up a better name, lol? All suggestions welcome...

I would - was thinking about something similar myself.

LisaH xxx

Hows about - parents paradise - a place to hide from the kids and find out you are actually quite a good parent and stop beating yourself over the head thinking you are doing something wrong and your child is suffering as a result. :P

Good idea though. A place for all child related issues be they 18mths or 18yrs.

Oh good, I'm not alone, lol.

Thing is, I didn't want to concentrate on the parental thing - what about parents-to-be and carers? Dear lord, I'm getting far too pc in my old age. And there was I raving about the Bad Mother's Club. But I think it should have that same feel - like you said, Fox, that it's a place to go and not be judged but be able to admit and laugh over your mistakes, get sound, guilt-free advice from other parents, and generally escape, enjoy, and enquire...

Parents Paradise...yeah, that could work...

Parents Paradise...yeah, that could work...

Get onto the Mods then cosy :) It would be nice to have a group where the non parentals wont go to slate us for not raising our offspring according to their personal preferences. :)

I did get onto the mods some time ago now...but I realise it takes quite a while, so I'm not planning on bothering them again for a while. We'll see how this goes, and if there's loads of interest and still no word from them, I'll give them a friendly reminder.

You're right - we'll have to make sure it's a non-judgemental place as far as possible.

I'll never forget finally admitting some accidents that happened when cosycub was tiny that I had felt soooo terrible about. I posted them on the BMC half expecting a slating, and was hugely relieved - and giggling my head off - when loads of other people posted right back about their stupid mistakes and hysterical accidents. Not one person said a nasty thing because they all recognised how hard it is to be a parent (especially a new one) and how easy it is to get it wrong and then flog yourself over the guilt instead of learning and laughing and forgiving yourself.

I'm also interested in providing a place for parents who find it isn't quite what they thought to be able to be open and honest about their experiences without people calling them freaks or ostracising them. I desperatly wanted the cosycub, he was planned and waited for impatiently. And then along came post-birth trauma, possible PND, definitely hormones, and a sudden realisation that life as I had known it was gone forever...I needed a place to be able to admit I wasn't actually all that impressed with the whole thing freely, and get support from other people's experiences.

And of course, where else should you go to learn how to make peanut butter playdough???

How have we ever survived without a parents group on here??? LOL.

Oooo I feel a thread coming on.. watch this space :hihi:

as a parent to be I would love to see this as a group, I have lots of questions and also have lots of good advice for those preparing ....although some of the stuff may be better coming from my wife :)

Get onto the Mods then cosy :) It would be nice to have a group where the non parentals wont go to slate us for not raising our offspring according to their personal preferences. :)

How does that work? I thought that groups' posts appear on the forum like everyone elses?

It would be a good idea though. My preferred title would be 'Sunshine & Sh*t", but each to their own.

How does that work? I thought that groups' posts appear on the forum like everyone elses?

It would be a good idea though. My preferred title would be 'Sunshine & Sh*t", but each to their own.

Well I look at the new posts section and not being a knitter ;) I disregard the kitting groups posts, so it could work.

Plus, of course, it's down to the people who use the group to supply support to others and dissuade non-constructive criticism. I don't think it should be a members-only thing, and will mostly be self-weeding. People who dislike children won't go there, and people who feel very judgemental about others will be able to say their piece and either be agreed with, refuted or ignored. It's about the culture you grow with your introduction and your posts.