Crystal Peaks to charge for car parking

Re:- from Times Online today

FREE parking at out-of-town shopping centres must be abolished to save traditional high streets from terminal decline and protect the environment, a government commission will recommend today.

The Commission for Integrated Transport believes that the lack of parking fees at centres such as Lakeside in Essex and Meadowhall in Sheffield is causing shoppers to use their cars and desert towns and cities.

It proposes that centres are forced to charge for parking and spend the money on better bus services and access for pedestrians and cyclists. Fees are likely to start at £1 per hour.

I bet Crystal Peaks have this in mind as it is a big problem with people parking and not using the facilities of the shopping mall. Why not charge and refund the parking ticket back when a purchase over £5 is made in the retail outlets within the malls.

they can reccomend it.....it'll never happen....thats WHY i go to meadowhall....

they can reccomend it.....it'll never happen....thats WHY i go to meadowhall....

Exactly, so if they take away your only reason to go to Meadowhall over the city center, you'll be more likely to go into town.

But if Meadowhall charges and then Crystal Peaks, where you gonna go then? Surely not the Sheffield city centre with all its pounds shops and Kosovan customers?

Maybe if the Gov't stopped giving hand-outs to the car manufacturers then it would look more like they want us to stop having cars.

car ownership must be one of the major sources of revenue for them since they have privatised most other sources.

They want you to buy a car (at a vastly over-inflated price) pay road tax, mot, silly petrol prices, then leave it at home and catch a non-existent bus.

Maybe if the Gov't stopped giving hand-outs to the car manufacturers then it would look more like they want us to stop having cars.

car ownership must be one of the major sources of revenue for them since they have privatised most other sources.

They want you to buy a car (at a vastly over-inflated price) pay road tax, mot, silly petrol prices, then leave it at home and catch a non-existent bus.

I don't think the government gives hand outs to the car manufacturers - if they are, they're making a poor effort of it - the car industry has all but been lost in this country.

But if Meadowhall charges and then Crystal Peaks, where you gonna go then? Surely not the Sheffield city centre with all its pounds shops and Kosovan customers?

internet shopping FTW!!!

I bet Crystal Peaks have this in mind as it is a big problem with people parking and not using the facilities of the shopping mall.

Really? I thought they'd dealt with the potential issue of commuters using the tram. Apart from that, who would want to park there if they were not shopping?

As you suggest shopping centres are likely to get round it with some sort of refund arrangement.

Crystal Peaks Have A 4 Hour Maximum Stay In Place To Stop People From Parking And Riding Any Longer Than 4 Hours And Its A 40 Quid Ticket.

I live near crystal peaks and the FACT is, there is no law that states how long you can stay !!! FACT

The 4 hours thing is true, i've seen the sign posts, unless they've withdrawn them again.

The main reason i don't go to town is not coz of parking(although thats a factor)

It's people bothering me all time, ie. beggars, people doing surveys, selling stuff. I can keep my mind on getting round shops at meadowhall