Home education possibilities

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! I have joined the mailing list for SYHEC. I was surprised at how many people actually educate their children at home. It gives me peace of mind that I am not doing anything wrong, no matter what people say.

I have found that my daughter loves drawing which I really want to encourage her with. Other than that, I do want her to get the basic, reading, writing and general maths done on a regular basis.

I seem to be stuck for ideas sometimes but I think nowadays the internet is pretty good for that!

Hi I am home schooling from next week for my 8 year old son. Can you please let me have any tips or details of any groups that might help.

Thanks in advance

Claire

Hi Claire

Welcome to the wonderful world of home education :)

Are you in Sheffield? If so the best place to start is to join SYHEC at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SYHEC/ This is a mailing list where events get posted up so you will be able to find out what activities are happening and when. You can also ask for advice and will find there are many people who have loads of experience on there.

There are also lots of national groups on facebook which are great for support too.

I am not sure what sort of tips you are looking for, but I am very happy to answer any specific questions :)

Pyjama Drama sunbeams sessions especially for home educators starts Tuesday 4th June

Pyjama Drama is an age differentiated programme which combines drama, movement, music and play and is great at developing confidence, concentration and co-operation, whilst stimulating the imagination. We use original Pyjama Drama songs, which are specially developed to fit around the themes we explore. Pyjama Drama supports the current requirements of the national curriculum. Sunbeams classes are generally for children around five to seven years old

Meersbrook Park Church

Chesterfield Rd

S8 0RP

1.30pm-2.30pm

£12 for a 3 week trial

For more details see http://www.pyjamadrama.com or

contact Gemma on 01142995227 or email gemma@pyjamadrama.com

This sounds great, it is brilliant that providers are setting up classes for home educated children. The only problem I can see is that it has been set up at the same time as the main HE meeting each week, so it will either not attract anyone because they are at the meeting, or it will compete with it and set up bad feelings.

If it could be offered on a different day and time, I should think it would be very popular.