Bicycle riding parents towing toddlers in buggies

Bicycle buggy poll  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Bicycle buggy poll

• I have or would tow my child in this way :)
    • Doesn't seem safe to me!
    • No opinion either way, thanks!

I just thought it was one of those threads that could attract some confused postings ;)

you should try google imaging 'bike trailer' though.... :shocked:

I've taken my kids in my trailer on the road. I value my kids above all else. The trailers fluorescent yellow with a fluorescent orange flag at 6ft high. They've undergone German TUV (the most stringent europe wide) testing as not only for construction, but for visibility and roadworthiness.

A trailer has as much suspension as if they were riding their own bike.

I thought they were originally a leisure accessory - for cycle trails at places like Ladybower or Center Parcs or Sherwood Forest. I would never consider using one in a major city.

you should see the contraptions they stick kids in in Amsterdam! I'd sooner be carting my kid about in Amsterdam though than on the streets of Sheffield :suspect:

for anyone who is mystified

lol..its true, to be honest they dont always use these contraptions either,...i've seen kids stood on the back of the bikes with their hands on the parents shoulders. Some bikes have small little seats on the front and back of the bike - http://www.brucity.be/images/politiq/mathias/velo.jpg

And we have these things called BakFiets = box bike - http://www.schlijper.nl/archive/2003/09/15-moeder-fiets.jpg

The difference in Amsterdam is that nearly everywhere you go there are cycle lanes!

i think they are okay for places such as the ones stated above by alchresearch.. wouldnt dream of using one in the city though.. but for tht matter, i wouldnt b on a bike in the city..

The Govt. had initially dedicated £15m over the next 3 years to getting more people on bikes.

You can now get tax incentives through your employer to buy a bike to cycle to work.

It recently announced an additional £15m to be targeted at ideas such as making it more viable to do the school run by bike.

Tie this in with how many trailers are being sold on Ebay, through Argos etc you can expect to see a lot more of these on the road.

If you can’t see a 3ft fluorescent cube with a fluorescent flag, can you see a cyclist? Should you be on the road at all?

I've taken my kids in my trailer on the road. I value my kids above all else. The trailers fluorescent yellow with a fluorescent orange flag at 6ft high. They've undergone German TUV (the most stringent europe wide) testing as not only for construction, but for visibility and roadworthiness.

If you can’t see a 3ft fluorescent cube with a fluorescent flag, can you see a cyclist? Should you be on the road at all?

The ones I have seen certainly haven't been high visibility, nor have they had a six foot high flag, but if that's how they make them now it's got to be a step in the right direction!

I also didn't realise that they were made to safety standards and had roll bars (as someone else posted)

Allthough it has to be said This one doesn't look like it has any protection whatsoever to me and if not, why not?

Are they not all made to a compulsary safety standard?

I still wouldn't use one though - I wouldn't put myself on the road on a cycle these days the way the traffic is and the attitude of some drivers, let alone my child.

The ones I have seen certainly haven't been high visibility, nor have they had a six foot high flag, but if that's how they make them now it's got to be a step in the right direction!

I also didn't realise that they were made to safety standards and had roll bars (as someone else posted)

Allthough it has to be said This one doesn't look like it has any protection whatsoever to me and if not, why not?

Are they not all made to a compulsary safety standard?

You have to ask yourself this - would you walk the pram/buggy in the road amongst the buses, skips and other traffic with a six foot high flag attached?

I wouldn't......