Any ex Firth Park School lads n lassies out there?

Hi moko,

There doesn't seem to be many of us "true Firparnians" posting. Mostly the posts are from the younger generation, after it was a proper school.

Memories of '62/'67 must be very similar to yours.

Ghost stories from Spike Johnson (did you read his book, the history of the Brushes?)

P.E. and Maths teacher (name I can't recall) from Falkirk if I remember.

HJS Wilson......the gaffer. (always wrote in green ink on the school reports.) I still have mine. Comments are mostly.."could do better".

The prefabs across the yard...

The School Speach Day at the City Hall.....

The cane...(won't go there)

I went there from 1958 to 1964.

I only wish I had taken advantage of the educational opportunities.

I was the pupil that got tattooed whilst I was there!

Phil R.

Eyup KeithA and Gormenghast, I've just come across these postings. I was there 1959-1964 when it was a proper school (boys only) (wait for the shouts of derision!). Do you have any contacts of ex pupils of that time? Can you exchange some tales of that time? Cheers.

No, I've no contacts, but have you seen the website?

http://www.firthparkgrammarschool.co.uk/

I went to Firth Park 1947 to 1952,Is there anybodt out there that remembs me ?

my name is not verey common. although it is english, and comes from vicking roots

Hi moko,

"Jock" McKay

Hi moko,

There doesn't seem to be many of us "true Firparnians" posting. Mostly the posts are from the younger generation, after it was a proper school.

Memories of '62/'67 must be very similar to yours.

Ghost stories from Spike Johnson (did you read his book, the history of the Brushes?)

HJS Wilson......the gaffer. (always wrote in green ink on the school reports.) I still have mine. Comments are mostly.."could do better".

The prefabs across the yard...

The School Speach Day at the City Hall.....

The cane...(won't go there)

not sure I agree with what you're saying about "proper school".

Edited by sparkyfred

"Jock" McKay
Thanks Walt.

not sure I agree with what you're saying about "proper school". I was there before it went comprehensive as well, red blazer, went thru the grammar school streaming system etc, did my o and a levels a year early, saw the effects of separating boys and girls, wondered about the motives of some male teachers who had chosen to work in all boys environment, and all in all I think mixed sex comprehensive schooling is the best system.

I never experienced any such happenings.

From recent reports that appears to be a catholic thing.

I was at FPG from1958 to 1963 in classes 1K, 2R, 3B, 4C and 5M - Obviously a slide down the academic levels as the years passed. Was 5M the 'unteachables' or maybe the 'untouchables'?

Thanks Walt.

I never experienced any such happenings.

From recent reports that appears to be a catholic thing.

Neither did I experience any but I observed some things that made me suspicious. Your comment about Catholic people beggars belief!

Your comment about Catholic people beggars belief!
I don't see why.

It's been a hot topic on the News recently.......but that's not for this thread.

I was at FPG from1958 to 1963 in classes 1K, 2R, 3B, 4C and 5M - Obviously a slide down the academic levels as the years passed. Was 5M the 'unteachables' or maybe the 'untouchables'?

The "M" stream was for those that didn't excel at languages. They took Mechanical Science instead.

I thought the M for mechanics stream started in the second year. 2R, 2S, 2G and 2M. I was in 1K, 2S and then consistently the C stream. Phil.

I don't see why.

It's been a hot topic on the News recently.......but that's not for this thread.

no not for this thread you're right. Subject dropped.