Any ex Firth Park School lads n lassies out there?

So. So far nobody has come forward with any famous or well known Firth Park School pupils from the 1970s classes. How about some of the teachers?

We know about John Sherwood...Olympic medal winner...but are any of the others now famous or well known?

Was Richard Hawley in the late 70's? I was in the same year as his youngest sister and there was a sister in between so he might have just made it in to the 70's, he's quite famous.

Was Richard Hawley in the late 70's? I was in the same year as his youngest sister and there was a sister in between so he might have just made it in to the 70's, he's quite famous.

David Hawley rings a bell .....Mmmmmmmmm

My PE teacher, Mr Plumbley polayed football for Doncaster, this would have been around 1965, but I don't suppose that makes him famous. Also remember John Sherwood taking us across to the playing fields for football. I was there from 1965-1970, remember Spike Johnson, history, FT Wood, English, I think (he was still wearing a black gown), Mr Machin, physics, Chas. Holmes, Chemistry, Mr Baines, Latin, Nebby Parker, French, Mr. Mayhew., Geography, Mrs. Garde, English literature, Boris Haywood, Russian, Dr. Eaker, French. "Crispy". Smith, Maths, Mr Dowling, metalwork, Mr. Parry, music. The head was H.J.S. Wilson, I think, and the deputy head was "Duke weatherall.

Some names I remember there from 1962 -1967.

H.J.S Wilson was the head.

The Duke (weatherall) deputy.

Spike...well everyone from the school remembers spike fondly. Top Man!

FT Wood....correct title Dr. F.T.Wood. I remember someone adding an "i" to the name plate on his door so it read "Driftwood". He was a well respected scholar of his time, and legend has it that he once received a letter through the post addressed to "Dr.F.T.Wood, England".

I remember Doc Eaker well.....it wasn't often his blackboard rubber missed it target!

You didn't mention Mr Harrison..general science. The one and only person that showed interest if you didn't understand something. He would give you extra time willingly to get his message across.

i'm fairly new to this site and ive been reading a load of the archives about the stocksbridge bypass.

Im very interested about the exitance of ghosts and in particular the Firth Park old building Brushes (because it is very near to me).

I read in the Star when they first started pulling the old building down that the builders refused to proceed until they had a exorcism ( you have to excuse the spelling there).

I felt that that was wrong!!! if it was haunted, then it was haunted for a reason, and if the exorcism didnt work it will be interesting to see whether the ghost (Norma i think she was called) will still be ocuping the new building!!

I just wondered what everyone elses view are!!!

I left in 78 the qhost was reputed to have been a servant who had been murdered. however I often wondered if the ghost had been made up to stop us from trying to get into the tower, which had been deemed as unsafe due to lack repairs to the stairs.

There was a more plausible ghost story that seems to be substantiated by peoples recollections from before the building was used as a school about the ghost of john booth (one of the first owners of the building) riding through the oval estate on his favourite horse. This is further substantiated by the fact that john booth was buried in his mausoleum with his favourite horse. The mausoleum stood in woodland where the oval estate now stands.

I left in 78 the qhost was reputed to have been a servant who had been murdered. however I often wondered if the ghost had been made up to stop us from trying to get into the tower, which had been deemed as unsafe due to lack repairs to the stairs.

There was a more plausible ghost story that seems to be substantiated by peoples recollections from before the building was used as a school about the ghost of john booth (one of the first owners of the building) riding through the oval estate on his favourite horse. This is further substantiated by the fact that john booth was buried in his mausoleum with his favourite horse. The mausoleum stood in woodland where the oval estate now stands.

Which class were you in? I was in H2

hi spudgun,

I cant remember which class I was in, I was in class with tony egley, barry christer, des ellis to name those I can remember. I was not one of the most memorable kids in school but I did have 2 brothers who were more popular and outgoing than I was they were known as big hatter and little hatter

hi spudgun,

I cant remember which class I was in, I was in class with tony egley, barry christer, des ellis to name those I can remember. I was not one of the most memorable kids in school but I did have 2 brothers who were more popular and outgoing than I was they were known as big hatter and little hatter

You`ve got to have been in my class as those people were

Some names I remember there from 1962 -1967.

H.J.S Wilson was the head.

The Duke (weatherall) deputy.

Spike...well everyone from the school remembers spike fondly. Top Man!

FT Wood....correct title Dr. F.T.Wood. I remember someone adding an "i" to the name plate on his door so it read "Driftwood". He was a well respected scholar of his time, and legend has it that he once received a letter through the post addressed to "Dr.F.T.Wood, England".

I remember Doc Eaker well.....it wasn't often his blackboard rubber missed it target!

You didn't mention Mr Harrison..general science. The one and only person that showed interest if you didn't understand something. He would give you extra time willingly to get his message across.

Hi

I was there from 1961 to about 1969

Studied Russian French and English Lit at A Level....only found out years later that Boris lived just round the corner from me in Dore....this was when he died!!(When I found out we lived near each other I mean!!) Great guy Boris...top man!!

I've a vague recollection of a Tony Morgan.

Rough arsed youth from Wybourn . Rubbish dancer.

Somehow managed to marry his lovely child bride.

Last seen hurtling down Ecclesall Road on his scooter at nearly 10 miles an hour.