Any ex Firth Park School lads n lassies out there?

On 30/05/2016 at 19:29, jacqui_d said:

OMG, I remember all those names some of whom I went through Firshill Infant and Junior school with.

Hi does any body remember Craig kemp?

On 13/10/2012 at 22:03, owlshihgreen said:

You must be Paul if I remember right you used to live on fairthorn road?

I lived at 47 Fairthorn Road next door to Susan Maycock

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 09:44, suzan said:

I lived at 47 Fairthorn Road next door to Susan Maycock

I`m still in touch with susan. She lives over in chapeltown.

On 02/02/2019 at 04:08, spudgun said:

I`m still in touch with susan. She lives over in chapeltown.

Brian? Hi stranger

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 07:42, suzan said:

Brian? Hi stranger

No mate. But I am also in touch with Brian.

Hi Folks,

I have a new podcast episode up.

It's the summer of 1978 and plans for the production of the Firth Park school musical 'Cabaret' are afoot.

Link to listen here - http://smarturl.it/MyLifeInTheMosh

Thanks

Dodger

(Firth Park student 1972 - 1979)

I was at Firth Park Grammar school from1950 to 1956. I am afraid I left with no GCEs. I only wish the masters who taught me  were alive to see how I redeemed myself largely as a result of the excellent  educational foundation they provided. I gained matriculation qualifications at Evening class and  on to undergraduate and post-graduate studies and a career as a lecturer away from the multiplicity of dead-end jobs I had after leaving school. I went on to write two novels and a history of a WW1 Medic plus a number of TV/VDO documentaries two of which were "The Sheffield Story " and "Sheffield  at War" It is a long time now but I had very good friends there....Daz Smith, Gary Lycett, Tony Deacon, Rob Kaye, Tony Justice, Stu Gulliver Mick Harker, Barry Littlewood Brian Moorhouse  Others have escaped my memory Ron. Fairfax

There was  reference in a post about Firth Park Grammar School (I attended  1950-56) to Gerald Brooke an old boy l.. Gerald was a brilliant language scholar at a school famous for language teaching. French, Italian, Spanish,German and in Gerald's case Russian. Firth Park was one of the few  State schools in the country that offered Russian .Gerald was described in the post as a spy because he was arrested in The Soviet Union while on a study visit there.  In  19 65 I was in Czechoslovakia and I met a journalist in Prague who reported his trial in Moscow. Gerald was hardly 007. He spent some time in Paris and became involved with an anti-Soviet White Russian Group. They gave him a bundle of leaflets to distribute when he got to Moscow. They expected him to hand them out to any students he met there. Instead he went to the top of a high-rise building and pushed them through a lavatory window so that they floated down into the street. 

He was arrested for distributing anti-Soviet material and was sentenced to 3 years in Lubiyanka. He did his time and then when back in England earned a lucrative living for a time writing books and newspaper articles about his ordeal. I remember him for other reasons. He was a prefect and  he caught me smoking in the outside lavs I was given 6 on the backside by WRC Chapman, the head. Ron. Fairfax

• Thanks 1

There used to be a  separate thread about Firth Park Grammar School but sadly I can't find it.

Have the moderators combined the two..despite it being two different schools?

Hi folks

It's me - the hated wackojacko ,,,

I've just spent an interesting hour reading all the posts here.  I'm sorry that I made life so unpleasant for many of you - I've mellowed a lot since you knew me (I think!), and I'm pretty ashamed of some of the things I got up to.  But like all of you, I've found it fascinating to read about people whose names I remember so well - both staff and pupils.  And it's good to read about your successes in your lives post-FPS.

But don't believe everything you read!  I never threw blackboard rubbers at pupils - mainly because I can't throw for toffee and it would have missed its mark and hit someone else!  I was never any good at throwing, catching or hitting a ball.  I remember a staff rounders match in which, somehow, I and John Sherwood ended up the only two left in to bat.  I would miss the ball and run to first base.  Then John hit a rounder and set off at speed; I had to run ahead of him all the way round.  Then I missed the ball, ran to 1st base, he hit a rounder ... and so on.  We won the match and it took the rest of the day for me to recover!

And I never made anyone sing an octave - pure fiction!

Speaking of fiction -  dodger23,  you write a very good story about 'Cabaret', but I never said any of the words you put in my mouth!  However, I'm most interested in the response from dropout:

I vaguely remember going to the (Firth Park) "Cabaret" performance at the SUDS one night, way back when....but I couldn't have remembered who was in it - or what the heck it was about.

Anyhow, it turned out, 30 years or so later, I turned up a Vinyl LP copy of the Firth Park School, Cabaret performance - in my records collection.

I managed to contact one of the names who was on the sleeve credits(It wasn't John Jackson,)...and asked how many LPs they had made...etc.

I think he said either 500 or 1,000.

Anyway, it turns out, or appears, that it is NOT yet a collector's item...and I still have the vinyl LP, rotting away somewhere.!

I'd love to listen to that record, because we never made a recording of that production!  If you really have a record, send me an mp3 of it ...

All the best to all you folk who passed through the school while I was there.   Like you, I have so many memories. 

On 12/01/2021 at 19:35, jonthekeys said:

Hi folks

It's me - the hated wackojacko ,,,

I've just spent an interesting hour reading all the posts here.  I'm sorry that I made life so unpleasant for many of you - I've mellowed a lot since you knew me (I think!), and I'm pretty ashamed of some of the things I got up to.  But like all of you, I've found it fascinating to read about people whose names I remember so well - both staff and pupils.  And it's good to read about your successes in your lives post-FPS.

Over the years I've dropped into this topic just out of interest to see any posts of interest from the early 80's when I was at FPS. I'm not one to post, and social media isn't my cup of tea (or coffee, as the John Jackson I knew drank) 

On seeing this post by jonthekeys I must admit to being sceptial if this is a legitimate post, but on reading I believe it maybe so I will assume so. 

John - not all who knew you have unpleasant memories. My school years are great memories, Im probably one of the few who would love to do a rerun! 

My fond memories of every production I was in under your direction are all down  to you and the excellence you created. Being in the choir was also a great memory, I was fortunate to meet and get to know the great 'Spike' who also joined us at his then great age. 

Our concerts at the Cathedral also have kept in my mind over the years, I must admit to still sing to myself 'This is the truth' 'The King has come' 'The Virgin Mary had a baby boy'! Lol, makes me chuckle. 

I must admit, and I can tell you know it, yes you had a certain way about you, not a lot of patience??... especially for fools I think..? 

Well, I for one thank you for being part of my memories, from being a Chorus member singing about Ice cream, to having a spiffing time watching the races, to then being a Teddy boy, and also to having the odd lines as a begger, and not to forget a Montague servant/guard. 

Only the true JJ will recollect. And always remember to draw the circle around one's face and make them smile..... ☺ 

I left the Red Caps in 1946, I often wonder what happened to the school photos which used to be taken on the playing field.