Film Maker & Boat Builder

Does anyone remember a Jamaican who set about making a cowboy film on the moors.

Later he started to build his own steel hulled boat in the canal basin with the idea of sailing back to Jamaica.

I wonder what happened to him?

Is he still in Sheffield?

Whatever happened to the boat?

I remember him building the boat, I lived in Hyde Park flats at the time, I sometimes used to go down and see the boat under construction..I was never convinced that the thing would ever float.

Apparently it didn't float. I understand that he launched the boat on the Sheffield canal, using a crane, and it sank to the bottom as the crane lowered it into the canal.

Yes I well remember him, he used to know my pop, I am pretty sure he is dead now, I believe it was in the Star quite a long time ago. I can remember pop buying or swapping with him something to obtain a 9.5mm sound projector which I thought at the time was fantastic. This certainly brought a memory back which I had forgotten.

Does anyone remember a Jamaican who set about making a cowboy film on the moors.

Later he started to build his own steel hulled boat in the canal basin with the idea of sailing back to Jamaica.

I wonder what happened to him?

Is he still in Sheffield?

Whatever happened to the boat?

I knew Joe Phillip and actually stood on his boat and didn't get my feet wet. He worked at Balfour Darwins and the boat was built largely from scrap steel they were throwing out. Joe had worked out that he would steer from the back of the boat so he could avoid the Barraccuda. He said forget the sharks they don't bite like the barra's!

In the end I understand his boat was impounded by British waterways for back mooring fee's. Joe died some years ago, but I can remember him laughingly telling how the Police impounded his camera after he announced he was to shoot a western with real ammunition! A real character!

I vaguely remember that at one point Joe started to make a western film using the Derbyshire moorland views as a backdrop.

He also hired the Hillsborough Cinema to review his efforts.

Does anybody remember these events, even better did anyone take part in Joe's film ventures?

Happy Days!

Yes I remember him vividly - you can't help remember such a character. He used to buy film from me at Hodgsons in the 60's. He would also keep looking at film cameras he couldn't afford. One of his favourit expressions when recounting his filming experiences was 'You shuda seen it'

Does anyone know what might have happened to the films he made?