Ecclesfield Grammar School

Jean and Janice Hearnshaw went to this school, Jean married David Tompkins. anyone remember them?

I do remember Janice Hearnshaw, I think she may also have been a Saturday girl in my dad's sweet shop in Hillsborough.

Well, what a site to stumble upon! And what names and faces I can now remember! I'm Pat Edley that was and now living in the south east but missing Sheffield, Worrall, and surrounding. I also remember the dreaded tea trot in the first year at EGS I believe my 'partner' was Tony Skelton?

I remember one year there were no girls left, so I did the tea trot with John Mayor. I am still good friends with John after knowing him for over fifty years, never did fancy him though:gag:

I still seek an answer to my original question but I find the site fascinating and am scrutinising most of the photographs for people I know/knew. I hope my comments may widen the thread even though my experience of the school was limited to supply teaching around 1990-93. I certainly wish High Storrs had had similar staff photographs taken. I liked Ecclesfield School, not just for its early starts and likewise finishes, but even as a comprehensive, it appeared to retain a grammar school ethos. I used to like the school library, which for once was a well-run, quiet room, not the usual dumping ground for recalcitrants and RE withdrawals!

Rugger fan, Mr.Williams, was the member of staff who booked supply staff in my experience and I can see him on a couple of staff pictures. The head of that time, Mr.Barnes does not have a picture, but he seemed a camera-shy man?

I believe he was paranoiaic about the press and probably there were one or two skeletons lurking, on issues subsequently read? I recall one occasion when I was sitting in my car one lunchtime reading my paper/form book (minding my own business) when he appeared at the side of my vehicle. One of his 'spy' pupils had told him there was a man from the press in the car park - he'd seen my racecourse press pass on the windscreen - but Barnes, I think, thought I was an undercover reporter from The Star and needed to check me out! His two plus two gave five! Sorry Sir, not to worry, Sport!

I have sent this link to Newmarket racehorse trainer, Mark Tompkins who along with his two brothers all went to the Grammar School. I have seen a couple of photos with Mark's brother, David on some football pics. I knew David from Sheffield Boys' Cricket in the early 60's and he was obviously a natural sportsman. Saw him last season at Pontefract and he is now living in York.

I recognised Alan Wray on the staff line-ups. I don't think Alan is with us any longer? I was once a colleague of his late wife, Mary, at High Storrs.

Other staff whose names I remember, Gordon Baxter, 'Higg', Guesty with whom it was always good to talk sport, along with Mr.Warhurst, Miss Brentnall, Miss Kidger, Mrs Ross and there was an Evertonian, Mr.Connolly in the history dept?

I wonder what year Simon Stainrod attended? He later helped me out with some tickets when he was manager of Dundee on the 'magic' name of EGS! Not forgotten Simon!

Other names I can remember who came under my tutelage were referees' chief, Keith Hackett's son and then-Yorkshire cricket coach Steve Oldham (Esso)'s daughter - around 1992. Meanwhile, I shall try and look for other faces and the name of the head of science circa 1992?

Simon Stainrod was at Ecclesfield in the early 70's. I was there from 69 - 76 and remember some of the teachers mentioned on this thread. Gordon Baxter was my form teacher, remember Hedley Knibs, Mr Birkby, Das Smith, John Moss etc etc.

I still seek an answer to my original question but I find the site fascinating and am scrutinising most of the photographs for people I know/knew. I hope my comments may widen the thread even though my experience of the school was limited to supply teaching around 1990-93. I certainly wish High Storrs had had similar staff photographs taken. I liked Ecclesfield School, not just for its early starts and likewise finishes, but even as a comprehensive, it appeared to retain a grammar school ethos. I used to like the school library, which for once was a well-run, quiet room, not the usual dumping ground for recalcitrants and RE withdrawals!

Rugger fan, Mr.Williams, was the member of staff who booked supply staff in my experience and I can see him on a couple of staff pictures. The head of that time, Mr.Barnes does not have a picture, but he seemed a camera-shy man?

I believe he was paranoiaic about the press and probably there were one or two skeletons lurking, on issues subsequently read? I recall one occasion when I was sitting in my car one lunchtime reading my paper/form book (minding my own business) when he appeared at the side of my vehicle. One of his 'spy' pupils had told him there was a man from the press in the car park - he'd seen my racecourse press pass on the windscreen - but Barnes, I think, thought I was an undercover reporter from The Star and needed to check me out! His two plus two gave five! Sorry Sir, not to worry, Sport!

I have sent this link to Newmarket racehorse trainer, Mark Tompkins who along with his two brothers all went to the Grammar School. I have seen a couple of photos with Mark's brother, David on some football pics. I knew David from Sheffield Boys' Cricket in the early 60's and he was obviously a natural sportsman. Saw him last season at Pontefract and he is now living in York.

I recognised Alan Wray on the staff line-ups. I don't think Alan is with us any longer? I was once a colleague of his late wife, Mary, at High Storrs.

Other staff whose names I remember, Gordon Baxter, 'Higg', Guesty with whom it was always good to talk sport, along with Mr.Warhurst, Miss Brentnall, Miss Kidger, Mrs Ross and there was an Evertonian, Mr.Connolly in the history dept?

I wonder what year Simon Stainrod attended? He later helped me out with some tickets when he was manager of Dundee on the 'magic' name of EGS! Not forgotten Simon!

Other names I can remember who came under my tutelage were referees' chief, Keith Hackett's son and then-Yorkshire cricket coach Steve Oldham (Esso)'s daughter - around 1992. Meanwhile, I shall try and look for other faces and the name of the head of science circa 1992?

Mark Tompkins was in the same class as me

I have never forgiven him for bowling me out for a first ball duck at cricket

does anyone remember the name of the school secretary who took over from

miss ward ?? around 1949.. it is believed she took cine film of various school events,from this period . the films might still be in family posession.

i would lie to trace these if posible to add to the archive of EGS.

Tedb, I can't help you with your query, but I am interested in the 'archive' to which you refer. Can you please tell me where the archive is kept and if it is available for public inspection? I am a former pupil - 1958 to 1965.

I went to Ecclesfield Grammar School in the sixties - was in the year after Eddie Birkby, Mick Dumpleton etc.. My form teacher was Mr Smith who taught Spanish. I remember Ug Cornwall, Billy Buck, Dicky Endall, Harry Birkby etc..

Enjoyed playing football for the school team. Travelling around South Yorkshire to play in Doncaster, Barnsley, Colne Valley etc..

---------- Post added 07-01-2017 at 20:48 ----------

For some reason have been unable to open the pic although am sure that have seen this pic elsewhere. Geoff Padgett's name was mentioned. Geoff is still alive and lives in Elsecar, which he always did. Stuart Beckett, who also came from Elsecar was a good friend of Geoffs' although haven't seen him for years. I remember Mark Tomkins who was a good footballer although a few years older than me. Other good players who were there at the time were Mick Dumpleton, Paul Dolby and Clive Wigginton who had a long career as a professional.

---------- Post added 08-01-2017 at 22:59 ----------

Looking at the pic again I remember the name of the girl who is standing directly in front of Geoff Padgett. Her name's Christine Norton who was also from Elsecar. Her elder brother, Brian, also attended EGS.

I'm looking for anyone who started at Ecco in 1958 , I've been on friends reunited but most people seem to have changed their e mails since registering , really looking for 5A , & 5B from 1963

:help::help::help:

Been looking for Kieth Myers for years

Our former Grammar school used to be in the old West Riding but now has a Sheffield post code. Recent OFSTED reports seem to imply it is now a sink school. A great shame as it was once a place where all the students could find an alternative future to the pit or the IZAL factory and your post code [not yet invented] was meaningless as the only measure was ability and parental ambition. This was not all academic. We had footballers, runners, tennis players, operatic singers, writers, musicians and actors who were  equally valued. How did they do and where are they now?  Those still around and on the internet could start a debate !

Paul Iverson EGS 1959 - 1966

How about this for some recollections. Mr Clay taught English and was known as 'Rimp' and his wife taught Classics. What! Classics at Ecclesfield Academy? They must mean Lennon and McCartney numbers rather than Greeks and Romans BC. Miss Cross taught French and was known as 'Gimmer'. This is a female sheep who has not been seen to by a ram.  In this age of political correctness no doubt any pupil referring to her as such would soon be sent to the head's office for a stroke of the cane, or perhaps not !