Ecclesfield Grammar School

Thanks from me too ! my sister was there around 1954ish and will love this photo , she loved that school . her name was then Christine Styring if anyone remembers her !

Kate

Hi Guys, I went to EGS and left in 67, my best friend was Yvonne Senior and we were always in trouble with the Senior Mistress, cannot remember her name. My sister Barb was two years ahead of me. Hope someone remembers me.

The senior mistress was Miss Cross I think. I was recently in Burncross cemetery in search of my great grandads grave when I found Miss Cross's. My great grandads grave is to the left of the chapel as you come through the gates and Miss Cross's is straight up towards what looks like a single parking space next to a wall and is about 2 or 3 graves up.

I was at Ecco from 1962-1966 and my maiden name was Theaker

Linda Thompson:D

There used to be a strange custom at Ecclesfield Grammar School - around Christmas time I think, when the pupils would run through the school in boy-girl pairs holding hands.

For some reason it was called the 'Tea Trot'

If so, do you remember any of your partners?

I am going back to 1962/63 ish

There used to be a strange custom at Ecclesfield Grammar School - around Christmas time I think, when the pupils would run through the school in boy-girl pairs holding hands.

For some reason it was called the 'Tea Trot'

If so, do you remember any of your partners?

I am going back to 1962/63 ish

I remember it well. In 1952 my partner was Ann Chambers.

I remember it well. In 1952 my partner was Ann Chambers.

Hi Tonio,

A bit before my time.

My partner was Jennifer Nicholson in the first year. The second year didn't seem to have enough girls to go around so I went on the TT with my best mate John Mayor. I didn't fancy him though:gag:

Best

Keith

PS I was a Fairfax House member, You?

Edited by mr_blue_owl
Added PS

Pardon me for butting in to this reunion, but, I'm interested to know if "Mr Blue Owl" is the same person who in my company tried to hatch a plan to pinch a union jack flag from a certain public house frontage on West street?

I am sorry to hear that Iris has died. I didn't know her name was Iris, I knew her as "Ma Webster",(class 1S 1962/63). She was a very good science teacher and did very interesting practical lessons, in fact I remember her classes more than any other. She was the most interesting science teacher I ever had and I still have my science text book from that time. Among the many experiments she showed us was one where she demonstrated how a barometer worked. She filled a long glass tube with mercury, placed her finger over the top, inverted it and then immersed her hand with the tube into a trough of mercury before removing her finger to allow the mercury in the tube to fall to show how atmospheric pressure caused the mercury to rise and fall. I assume the dangers of mercury weren't known then as she didn't wear protective gloves. I can still picture her with her rich red lips and her black polo neck sweater as she chalked on the blackboard and taught very interesting science. Fond memories.

Was your wife the science teacher? I was in Mrs Palmers class 1962-1966. Mrs palmer was the English Teacher, Mr Hayes Maths, Mr Sant Art, Mr Birkby Geography, Mr Cochrane French and I think Mr Janner was history but not sure

---------- Post added 11-03-2014 at 20:14 ----------

Most of those children were in Mrs Palmers class with me Linda Theaker. Nigel Strutt, Shelley Whhitham, Shirley whitham, Roddy Wadsworth, Simon Cochrane, Edward Birkby, Susan Wragg etc

Pardon me for butting in to this reunion, but, I'm interested to know if "Mr Blue Owl" is the same person who in my company tried to hatch a plan to pinch a union jack flag from a certain public house frontage on West street?

Yes indeed, I had lost a bet with Pat Griffin and the loser had to get the flag

I never did get the flag though

And you are?

Well, what a site to stumble upon! And what names and faces I can now remember! I'm Pat Edley that was and now living in the south east but missing Sheffield, Worrall, and surrounding. I also remember the dreaded tea trot in the first year at EGS I believe my 'partner' was Tony Skelton?