Ecclesfield Grammar School

Iris taught at the school in the early 60s and I have just discovered two photographs I had never seen before. One shows her with her form in 1961 and the other is a staff photograph in 1965. The headmaster to my surprise was Mr Jennings who earlier had been a master at Chesterfield Grammar School where I was a pupil 1948 to 1953. Iris who was my wife died recently and I am anxious to discover any memories of her that you may have.

Iris' surname at the time was Webster and she taught biology. Realised I had ommitted this from message just sent

Iris taught at the school in the early 60s and I have just discovered two photographs I had never seen before. One shows her with her form in 1961 and the other is a staff photograph in 1965. The headmaster to my surprise was Mr Jennings who earlier had been a master at Chesterfield Grammar School where I was a pupil 1948 to 1953. Iris who was my wife died recently and I am anxious to discover any memories of her that you may have.

I am sorry to hear that Iris has died. I didn't know her name was Iris, I knew her as "Ma Webster",(class 1S 1962/63). She was a very good science teacher and did very interesting practical lessons, in fact I remember her classes more than any other. She was the most interesting science teacher I ever had and I still have my science text book from that time. Among the many experiments she showed us was one where she demonstrated how a barometer worked. She filled a long glass tube with mercury, placed her finger over the top, inverted it and then immersed her hand with the tube into a trough of mercury before removing her finger to allow the mercury in the tube to fall to show how atmospheric pressure caused the mercury to rise and fall. I assume the dangers of mercury weren't known then as she didn't wear protective gloves. I can still picture her with her rich red lips and her black polo neck sweater as she chalked on the blackboard and taught very interesting science. Fond memories.

As an old pupil of EGS (1957-64), I remember Miss Webster very well. She taught me 'O' level biology from 1960-62, & was probably partly responsible for my choice of career. Biology was my favourite subject, & I became a nurse/ midwife. I retired a few years ago after many years working in the NHS.

In addition to being a very good teacher, Miss Webster very soon became involved with other aspects of school life. She took part in the staff/pupils sports matches. These were always very lively affairs - the staff always cheated! I also remember her accompanying us on excursions & hostelling holidays etc.

A very nice lady. I am sorry you have lost her.

Sue Kelsall (Cuckson at EGS)

I'm looking for anyone who started at Ecco in 1958 , I've been on friends reunited but most people seem to have changed their e mails since registering , really looking for 5A , & 5B from 1963

:help::help::help:

Does anyone have a photograph of the school itself (i.e. not class photos) from the 1960s which is when my sister and I were there? I'm doing a scrapbook for her and would like to include it. Joy

I've already checked that site, but I can't see any photos of the building on there unfortunately. Thanks for the reply though.

I've already checked that site, but I can't see any photos of the building on there unfortunately. Thanks for the reply though.

9.jpg

This pic was taken 2 yrs ago. I've brushed out any modern buildings and this how it looked when I was there in the 50's.Hope it is OK for you

Thank you very much! That's a great photo, and just what I was looking for. Joy