Ecclesfield Grammar School

This is a link to a photo of my first form class at Ecco Grammar which would have been 1962 by my reckoning. (Miss Norfolk was the form teacher).

I am the handsome young chap :rolleyes: marked with a square.

Two others I met recently are John Platts and John Mayor the rest I havent seen or heard from since I left.

Anybody recognise any of the pupils on the pic?

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8831/eccogrammarct8.jpg

I recognise a lot of these faces, and am now racking my brains trying to remember their names. My name is Joy Lewis and I was in the same year, but in a different class. I remember Miss Norfolk - she used to teach music. The girl on the front row third from the right is Karen Satterthwaite and I think the boy to the left of you is David Pashley. I'll come back when I've remembered some more.

I recognise a lot of these faces, and am now racking my brains trying to remember their names. My name is Joy Lewis and I was in the same year, but in a different class. I remember Miss Norfolk - she used to teach music. The girl on the front row third from the right is Karen Satterthwaite and I think the boy to the left of you is David Pashley. I'll come back when I've remembered some more.

Hi Joy,

The back row is: John Pashley, me, Richard Mason, Jan Pietnik (my best mate at school), John Platts, Gordon Lake, Michael Plant, John Mayor, Geoff Padgett, ????, Stephen Mason

I think the big guy in the second row is Andrew Needham

Of the girls I also remember Karen, plus Janet Shenton, Jennifer Nicholson (I went on the 'tea trot' with her), Jean Moyer, Linda Oxley, Melanie Spencer.

Norma Pease is just off the photograph (I got the pic from John Platts who stuck a biro through Norma's face after she apparently snitched on him he he

Of the teachers I used to like Miss Norfolk and hate Ogi Jennet - all the boys did. I am still in touch with John Mayor we have known each othe from infant school (about 50 years!) Also John Platts who used to lead me astray and Steve Jones who was in the year after us.

Thought of some more names. Middle row second from left (I'm counting the first left as the half person!) is Janet Parkin. You're right about Andrew Needham. Front row first on left is Jennifer Strickland, then Melanie Spencer, Lynda Muscroft and Laraine Smith. Then on the far right of that row is Lynne Needham. I was in class 1N in 1963. Mr. Jackson was our form teacher and others in the class were David Helliwell, with whom I'm still in touch, Mark Helme, Stephen Housden, Stephen Jenkinson, Paul Hazelby amongst others. Recognise any of the names? Can you also tell me who in your photograph is Jennifer Nicholson, Jean Moyer and Linda Oxley? I remember Norma Pease. We were in the sixth form together, both doing languages. Seems pretty typical of John Platts to stick a biro through her face, although knowing Norma she probably deserved it.

Thought of some more names. Middle row second from left (I'm counting the first left as the half person!) is Janet Parkin. You're right about Andrew Needham. Front row first on left is Jennifer Strickland, then Melanie Spencer, Lynda Muscroft and Laraine Smith. Then on the far right of that row is Lynne Needham. I was in class 1N in 1963. Mr. Jackson was our form teacher and others in the class were David Helliwell, with whom I'm still in touch, Mark Helme, Stephen Housden, Stephen Jenkinson, Paul Hazelby amongst others. Recognise any of the names? Can you also tell me who in your photograph is Jennifer Nicholson, Jean Moyer and Linda Oxley? I remember Norma Pease. We were in the sixth form together, both doing languages. Seems pretty typical of John Platts to stick a biro through her face, although knowing Norma she probably deserved it.

I remember all the names (I have quite a good long term memory but cannot remember where I put my glasses) I guess Keith Howard would have been in your class (as they went by alphabetical order)

I thought it was Susan Smith but you are probably right, Jennifer Nicholson is far right (first girl I ever fell in 'love' with:rolleyes: ) Linda Oxley is 4th from the right she married our neighbour's son who unfortunately died quite young) I also remembered Helen Slater (2nd from right) not sure if Jean Moyer is on the photo but she was definitely in my class as I had to go to Matron when she trapped my finger in the door.

Yes, typical of John but he is actually a very nice guy these days. I used to knock around with Andrew Hunt and Ralph Hardwick who may have been in your class also. Other mates were Mick Dumpleton, Gary Faulkner. Darryl Ball.

I knew Paul Dolby but we did not get along too well

I forgot to tell you my name is Keith Marshall

Other girls I remember:Shirley Walker, Susan Vickers, Kathleen (or Catherine? Turner), Anne Crellin.

'Fizz' Jackson was a great guy, he taught me English also. But unfortunately he could not control the kids very well and I think he left the teaching profession.

I would like to say they were happy days, but I didn't like school very much to be honest.

I remember all the names (I have quite a good long term memory but cannot remember where I put my glasses) I guess Keith Howard would have been in your class (as they went by alphabetical order)

I thought it was Susan Smith but you are probably right, Jennifer Nicholson is far right (first girl I ever fell in 'love' with:rolleyes: ) Linda Oxley is 4th from the right she married our neighbour's son who unfortunately died quite young) I also remembered Helen Slater (2nd from right) not sure if Jean Moyer is on the photo but she was definitely in my class as I had to go to Matron when she trapped my finger in the door.

Yes, typical of John but he is actually a very nice guy these days. I used to knock around with Andrew Hunt and Ralph Hardwick who may have been in your class also. Other mates were Mick Dumpleton, Gary Faulkner. Darryl Ball.

I knew Paul Dolby but we did not get along too well

I forgot to tell you my name is Keith Marshall

Other girls I remember:Shirley Walker, Susan Vickers, Kathleen (or Catherine? Turner), Anne Crellin.

'Fizz' Jackson was a great guy, he taught me English also. But unfortunately he could not control the kids very well and I think he left the teaching profession.

I would like to say they were happy days, but I didn't like school very much to be honest.[/QUO

Hi Keith, remember you well, last saw you in the Nelson PH, Sheffield, you had long hair to your waist. Just retired from 30+yrs in the police, 25yrs on horseback. How are you what you doing now, last I saw of Jan he was not too good, he was a patient at Middlewood Hospital not seen him since. Take care maybe catch up later.

Pardon me for interrupting this thread but I taught at the school - on supply -around 1990 and found the Head of Science a 'kindred spirit'. I seem to remember his first name was Eric. Any thoughts on his possible surname please?

Pardon me for interrupting this thread but I taught at the school - on supply -around 1990 and found the Head of Science a 'kindred spirit'. I seem to remember his first name was Eric. Any thoughts on his possible surname please?

No probs, but I left Ecclesfield around 1967/8, only remenber Pam Smith as a science teacher, rather tasty.

I still seek an answer to my original question but I find the site fascinating and am scrutinising most of the photographs for people I know/knew. I hope my comments may widen the thread even though my experience of the school was limited to supply teaching around 1990-93. I certainly wish High Storrs had had similar staff photographs taken. I liked Ecclesfield School, not just for its early starts and likewise finishes, but even as a comprehensive, it appeared to retain a grammar school ethos. I used to like the school library, which for once was a well-run, quiet room, not the usual dumping ground for recalcitrants and RE withdrawals!

Rugger fan, Mr.Williams, was the member of staff who booked supply staff in my experience and I can see him on a couple of staff pictures. The head of that time, Mr.Barnes does not have a picture, but he seemed a camera-shy man?

I believe he was paranoiaic about the press and probably there were one or two skeletons lurking, on issues subsequently read? I recall one occasion when I was sitting in my car one lunchtime reading my paper/form book (minding my own business) when he appeared at the side of my vehicle. One of his 'spy' pupils had told him there was a man from the press in the car park - he'd seen my racecourse press pass on the windscreen - but Barnes, I think, thought I was an undercover reporter from The Star and needed to check me out! His two plus two gave five! Sorry Sir, not to worry, Sport!

I have sent this link to Newmarket racehorse trainer, Mark Tompkins who along with his two brothers all went to the Grammar School. I have seen a couple of photos with Mark's brother, David on some football pics. I knew David from Sheffield Boys' Cricket in the early 60's and he was obviously a natural sportsman. Saw him last season at Pontefract and he is now living in York.

I recognised Alan Wray on the staff line-ups. I don't think Alan is with us any longer? I was once a colleague of his late wife, Mary, at High Storrs.

Other staff whose names I remember, Gordon Baxter, 'Higg', Guesty with whom it was always good to talk sport, along with Mr.Warhurst, Miss Brentnall, Miss Kidger, Mrs Ross and there was an Evertonian, Mr.Connolly in the history dept?

I wonder what year Simon Stainrod attended? He later helped me out with some tickets when he was manager of Dundee on the 'magic' name of EGS! Not forgotten Simon!

Other names I can remember who came under my tutelage were referees' chief, Keith Hackett's son and then-Yorkshire cricket coach Steve Oldham (Esso)'s daughter - around 1992. Meanwhile, I shall try and look for other faces and the name of the head of science circa 1992?

She didn't really deserve it. It was because she reported myself and John Mayor for spraying her with some stinky stuff,(John Mayor supplied it, I sprayed it), can't blame her for that. We had to face Mr Birkby and as punishment we both lost our merit half so I was a bit peeved and took her face off the photo. I've nearly grown up now.