Major Fire at Fletchers Bakery Hillsborough. Penistone Rd closed.

Fletchers.jpg

this is last night when i walked up to shops, what a site!

On the old site? What as in Claywheels Lane?

Yep:thumbsup:.

I've been down today and the original Fletchers building doesn't seem to have been touched.

Only looks like the "glorified conservatory" has been destroyed, and I've just been told that the fire site should be cleared within two weeks:thumbsup:. They're then hoping to rebuild it:thumbsup:

I know I'm a bit late with these, but if anyone's still interested, this is the scene me and Little_Alex saw from the hillsop near Midhurt Road at Foxhill, directly above the fire.

We managed to dodge the police officers who were warning us to get inside because of toxic fumes *cough* *cough*, and were more or less underneath it.

The photo you can see of the sun through the smoke actually made it go properly dark....

It was very interesting. Probably not a good idea for the old lungs, but there you go....

Photo no. 1

Photo no. 2

Photo no. 3

Photo no. 4

Photo no. 5

Photo no. 6

Photo no. 7

:)

God all I can focus on is Sheffield in the distance.

I miss it badly.

Fankew Lady.... I can't take the credit though, I forgot my camera - Little_Alex remembered his!

And Jabbywocky - any other photo's you'd like to see to remind you of home? Just in case I'm passing?

That last shot really shows the severity of the smoke on Sunday.

Went past today over the Leppings Lane roundabout and was gobsmacked at the state of what remains of the building. Incredible. Absolutely razed, a smoking ruin

I've added another 19 pictures taken at Fletchers today, Thursday.

The place is still smoking in places which can be clearly seen in a couple of the pictures. There is one fire engine left out the front whilst the bulldozers have already moved in round the back.

Pictures here.

:sad:

nice pics scutts - sucha a shame we can all produce such photos when such a bad occassion is about - we need a nice thing to happen!

it was weird to see from out near ladybower on the day. we did not know what was going on and for a while thought sheffield had been burnt down. hope no-one was hurt

My ex works for fletchers and was at the meeting on Wednesday, the back end of the building was not damaged by the fire and will hopefully be up and running as of monday, there was talk of changing the shift patterns to 8 hours instead of 12 so there will be 3 shifts a day meaning more people will be able to work in the section that survived.

As far as I know they are not being fully paid, Fletchers are paying the workers from the Sunday it happened to this Sunday but only 8 hours a day not 12.

22 July 2006.

Northern Foods have confirmed that one third of their Fletchers Bakery site in Sheffield has not been affected by the fire which started on Sunday 16 July 2006. One third of the Bakery is undergoing damage assessment and one third has been totally destroyed.

One problem as of Saturday 22 July 2006 is that a fire is still smouldering in that part of the building which was completely damaged. The roof has collapsed, making it extremely difficult for the Fire Service to enter.

Carole Gunston, spokesperson for Northern Foods said "Subject to the completion of the initial damage assessment when the fire is fully out, it is hoped to have two thirds of the site operational by the end of August 2006.''

Carole continued, "Subject to the findings of this assessment, it is currently the company's intention to rebuild the operation. The assessment process is likely to take until September 2006 and initial indications are that any rebuild could take up to a year."

The company also confirmed that plans announced on 31 May 2006 to sell Fletchers Bakery and other parts of Northern Foods had not been affected by the blaze.