Major Fire at Fletchers Bakery Hillsborough. Penistone Rd closed.

BBC have put up a more detailed report on there site now...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/5185136.stm

And from that news page - "Northern Foods had only announced in May that it was putting the bakery site up for sale as a going concern."

Conspiracy theory maybe? Couldn't find a buyer maybe? mmmmmmmmm :suspect::)

Bottom of Halifax Road area, Huuuuge plume of black smoke.

Fletchers Bakery.

there doing toast:D

And from that news page - "Northern Foods had only announced in May that it was putting the bakery site up for sale as a going concern."

Conspiracy theory maybe? Couldn't find a buyer maybe? mmmmmmmmm :suspect::)

Please, let's not have any more of that. We now know that it is believed that a cooler exploded which resulted in the ensuing fire. No doubt the Fire Service will carry out their own investigations, as will the insurers for such a large capital sum.

But please, let's not start spreading daft rumours that have no basis whatsoever.

Please, let's not have any more of that. We now know that it is believed that a cooler exploded which resulted in the ensuing fire. No doubt the Fire Service will carry out their own investigations, as will the insurers for such a large capital sum.

But please, let's not start spreading daft rumours that have no basis whatsoever.

Sorry about that Tony, but I did make a point of placing a smiley at the end. It was a total tongue in cheek post.

I know, but I'm a bit conscious that we don't want any of our members to get into trouble. :)

I was driving near High Melton (Doncaster) early yesterday afternoon and could see a massive plume of smoke in the distance. At the time, I just thought there was a massive field fire or something, but having learned of this I now know what it was. Must have been a big one for me to see it from 15 miles away.

I was driving near High Melton (Doncaster) early yesterday afternoon and could see a massive plume of smoke in the distance. At the time, I just thought there was a massive field fire or something, but having learned of this I now know what it was. Must have been a big one for me to see it from 15 miles away.

I can raise you five miles - according to Multimap.

We stayed at Hellaby Hall on Sat night and were coming back to Sheff at 11.00 - we could see the smoke from the far side of the M18.

Even more amazing, I actually said it was right near my house, which is about 100M from the Bakery! Oh how I wish Jimmy Dale had been with us - my abhorrent High School Geography teacher.

Been and had a look earlier, it is really bad. A few fire engines remain and have a constant spray of water over the building.

As i walked round there was a bloke stood on the corner with tears running down his face. He told me that he`d worked there over 30 years. I felt right sorry for him, and all the others.

Took a few photos showing what the fire has done:

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l255/mini670

Thanks for doing this Fox20thc. I was trying to get the OP link to work but it would not find it, This one is good to watch.

You are most welcome, 162 visits already :o

in case you missed it.

That was bloody awesome, sod the fire, I saw wordsworth Ave and the cross!

Oh god homesickness...

Ahh bless.. :P

Lets hope the staff are looked after, someone on the news said they are only being paid up to Wednesday :(

Wow! He is rather sexy! Anyone know him/been nicked by him etc etc etc?

Seen better than him, take em out of uniform though they have no dress sense, they love themselves too much,

Been and had a look earlier, it is really bad. A few fire engines remain and have a constant spray of water over the building.

As i walked round there was a bloke stood on the corner with tears running down his face. He told me that he`d worked there over 30 years. I felt right sorry for him, and all the others.

Took a few photos showing what the fire has done:

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l255/mini670

cool pics man....im glad the clock tower bit survived. i hope its stable enough that they can keep that part.....een though Swillsboro' (insert Sheff Utd>Sheff Wed joke here) i always remember going past that place as a kid to the bowling/quasar.....good memories!

17th July 2006

NORTHERN FOODS PLC

FIRE DAMAGE TO FLETCHERS BAKERIES

Northern Foods PLC advises that a fire occurred at its Fletchers Bakeries site in Sheffield on 16 July 2006. No-one was hurt. For safety reasons, management will not re-enter the site until later today when assessments of the impact on production will be made.

Any material property damage and business interruption loss is expected to be covered by the Group’s insurance. Although no assessment has yet been made, the first £4 million of any loss is insured through the Group’s wholly owned captive insurance company and could give rise to a non-recurring loss in the Group’s financial results.

The Fletchers business is part of the speciality bread category within the Group’s Bakery division. On 31 May Northern Foods announced its intention to sell the speciality bread business.