Pyebank School, Pitsmoor

Hi,

Which side of Champs Hill did you live on? There was a lad in my class at school lived on the same side as Whitby and Chandlers. His name was Alan Murdouch (?) This would be in the late 1940's, early 50's.

On the other side of the street (what used to be called the Mill Houses) was a family called Page. My mother used to know Mrs. Page. Can't remember the names of any of the other families - used to know them all at one time.

Regards

I lived on the opposite side to Whitby & Chandlers further up near the Merry Heart. I don't remember any one called Murdouch or Page from that area. But I do remember Peter Campbell & Brian Bamford (should have remembered him in my earlier post) they lived opposite to Whitby & Chandler's.

I lived on the opposite side to Whitby & Chandlers further up near the Merry Heart. I don't remember any one called Murdouch or Page from that area. But I do remember Peter Campbell & Brian Bamford (should have remembered him in my earlier post) they lived opposite to Whitby & Chandler's.

Hi,

The name Bamford strikes a bell but can't remember anybody else.

Does the name Walton mean anything to you? Bill and Mabel Walton (nee Hayes) lived close to you, in the set of four terraced houses just before the yard. Opposite the end of Marcus Street.

I was in the Cubs at Holy Trinity Church. Mabel ran the pack during the war while Bill was in the army. Mabel passed away a long time ago and of course, the houses have long since gone. Don't know what happened to Bill.

If you lived near the Merry Heart, you will remember Langley's green grocers shop across the street. I went to school with David Langley.

Remember the corner shop across from the Merry Heart: corner of Spital Street and Brunswick Road. In my childhood, it was run by a couple called Brewster. Then Walter Pollit and his wife took over. When the area was redeveloped, the Polllit's took a new shop down Spital Street: facing Spital Hill.

Small world.

Regards

I also knew Frankie Lemmons and yes he was a good bloke. We used to play footie on the rec. Very sad when I heard he'd left us.

Yep, Ian his brother was more my age and used to play footie on the rec to.

You lot were past it when we played on there :hihi: .

You must have been part of the Reville, Gunstone and Whitham mob.

Us younger mortals were Manto, Mudge and Barney. ( Materfield, Keyworth and Barratt.)

I was always in the goal cause I was crap on the field.

Hi,

Does the name Walton mean anything to you? Bill and Mabel Walton (nee Hayes) lived close to you, in the set of four terraced houses just before the yard. Opposite the end of Marcus Street.

I was in the Cubs at Holy Trinity Church. Mabel ran the pack during the war while Bill was in the army. Mabel passed away a long time ago and of course, the houses have long since gone. Don't know what happened to Bill.

If you lived near the Merry Heart, you will remember Langley's green grocers shop across the street. I went to school with David Langley.

Remember the corner shop across from the Merry Heart: corner of Spital Street and Brunswick Road. In my childhood, it was run by a couple called Brewster. Then Walter Pollit and his wife took over. When the area was redeveloped, the Polllit's took a new shop down Spital Street: facing Spital Hill.

Small world.

Regards

Might be a couple or so years before your time Falls, but I remember a kid by the name of Bamford, first name Barry. Went through the Pye Bank and 'Burny' experiences together, he went into the Merchant Navy straight from school but didn't stay in. I lost track of him when I went in the Army. Anyhow he lived somewhere around the area you've been speaking of.

Could be a relation.

Hi,

Small world.

Regards

Brian Bamford had Two younger brothers who were twins.

Not sure about the Waltons. But I think the yard you describe was occupied by a family called Pascoe, I went to school with Richard, he had a younger sister,forgot her name. I remember a family in that yard the husband was a small bloke with white hair. The grandson made frequent visits, and we got to be mates. I forget his name but I know he lived somewhere up Bellhouse Rd. He could be a member of the Walton family.

I remember the Langley's Two lads. The youngest was called Graham, there grandmother lived on Nottingham St. above Bells chippy, also remember Brewsters. Pollits, and on the opposite corner Gowers, later to become the betting shop. and further up Spital St. Booths, Green's butchers shop, Bottomley's newspaper shop, Bentley's Shop the Cromwell View pub.

You lot were past it when we played on there :hihi: .

You must have been part of the Reville, Gunstone and Whitham mob.

Us younger mortals were Manto, Mudge and Barney. ( Materfield, Keyworth and Barratt.)

I was always in the goal cause I was crap on the field.

Gunstones, Vaughn and Colin I remember. Also remember Martin ? Manterfield. But Reville? Whitham? The old brain needs some assistance there.

As for being past it, long ago my body and brain disagreed on the subject of whether I could still play football. Body won.

Gunstones, Vaughn and Colin I remember. Also remember Martin ? Manterfield. But Reville? Whitham? The old brain needs some assistance there.

As for being past it, long ago my body and brain disagreed on the subject of whether I could still play football. Body won.

Kevin Revelle I think his name was, also Derek Witham and did you know Gary " ding dong " Bell.

Kevin Revelle I think his name was, also Derek Witham and did you know Gary " ding dong " Bell.

The names don't ring a bell (sorry for the pun). I must have had a close circle of friends. there was me , machin, mathews, gunstone, royston, wainwright, creamer, and a few others.

Brian Bamford had Two younger brothers who were twins.

I remember the Langley's Two lads. The youngest was called Graham, there grandmother lived on Nottingham St. above Bells chippy, also remember Brewsters. Pollits, and on the opposite corner Gowers, later to become the betting shop. and further up Spital St. Booths, Green's butchers shop, Bottomley's newspaper shop, Bentley's Shop the Cromwell View pub.

Hi,

My mother bought all our greens, etc. from Langley's and most of our meat from Ken Green.

I just remember Ken's father when he ran the business. Ken wasn't around at that time and may have been in the forces.

Regards

Hi,

Did you know a family called Fleming who lived on Brunswick Road, almost at the corner of Bramber Street? Their house was next to a derlict shop on the corner and opposite a pub, I think called The Vine. They were there in the 1940's and at least the early 50's

They had a son called Leslie and a daughter called Dawn. I went to Pye Bank and Burngreave schools with Leslie.

Regards

My husband, Keith Skelton [skelly] lived at 38 Bramber street, 2 doors down from the shop on the corner. he has a photo of the dog named Rex from the vine. Do you remember the Wards who lived on Bramber street, and the- Scotts [Freddy]. Do you remember Val and Sandra summerhayes who lived at 60 Bramber street and who went to Pye bank then on to Burngreave school. Do you remember all the bombed buildings opposite side to pye bank school and the bombed buildings which were back of Bramber street. Did you ever go to Lopham Sunday School especially when we all had to wear white clothes.

I lived on Champs Hill. (Brunswick Rd.) untill I was about Sixteen, then Pye Bank Rd. for about Five years.

Hi pitsmoorboy, my father-in-law used to lived on champs hill in the house above the stables just above on the opposite side of the road to the bullrocks,[william skelton]. in the 1940's my husbans [keith] used to sledge down champs hill when there was no traffic.

My husband, Keith Skelton [skelly] lived at 38 Bramber street, 2 doors down from the shop on the corner. he has a photo of the dog named Rex from the vine. Do you remember the Wards who lived on Bramber street, and the- Scotts [Freddy]. Do you remember Val and Sandra summerhayes who lived at 60 Bramber street and who went to Pye bank then on to Burngreave school. Do you remember all the bombed buildings opposite side to pye bank school and the bombed buildings which were back of Bramber street. Did you ever go to Lopham Sunday School especially when we all had to wear white clothes.

Hello Juliediane,

What kind of time frame are we talking about.

I started at Pye Bank (infants) in Jan 1942 and left the juniors in 1948 to go to Burngreave. I left Burgreave in December 1951. Is this about the right time?

If your husband is about my age, then its possible that I knew him. I remember a Ward at Pye Bank and think he lived somewhere in the Brunswick Road/Bramber Street area but its only a guess.

Val and Sandra Summerhayes and the Scotts I don't remember.

There was a girl called June Morwood in my class at Pye Bank. She was the only person I knew that lived on Lopham Street (up near Montfort Street).

I remember the bomb crater opposite Pye Bank School.

I grew up in the Wicker area, so I went to Holy Trinity SS, not Lopham Street SS. I knew the area through the kids at school and because my grandparents lived at 72 Nottingham Street. Their house was on the corner of Nottingham Street and Monfort Street: diagonally across from the Co-Op.

Did your husband know lad called Charles Hallewell. He went to Firshill, rather than Pye Bank and then to Burngreave. He lived in house that faced onto Brunswick Road (opposite the bottom of Stockton Street) It must have been in a court at one time, before they removed the houses in front. The house would have been end-on to Bramber Street and must have been right behind where your husband lived.

Small World

Regards