Pyebank School, Pitsmoor

Originally posted by Nimrod

Hi pitsmoorboy. I remember Susan Crookes and a boy at Pyebank school called Charles Street. I also remember a playground we used to go to- we called it Wembley, but I cant remember where it was.

Happy days.

Charlie Street was in my class at Pye bank school in the late 50's The Wembley play ground was on Marcus St.

Hi. Nimrod & Siren Where on brunswick Rd. did you live? I lived near the Merry Heart pub. Do you remember it?

Pitsmoorboy

Yes I remember the Merry Heart I used to live in the Burngreave Liberal Club amongst other places.

Siren

Hi Pitsmoorboy,

I lived in the yard on the corner of Brunswick Rd and Bramber St [an old derelict beer off shop was in the corner of the yard] There were no floors left in the old shop they had been taken for firewood. I think we moved out of Pitsmoor in 1957.

my x mother in law was a teacher ther in the 80s mrs goddard

I remember Pyebank School. Went there 1940/1941 until it was hit by one of Hitler's bombs. We were living on Montfort Road then and they sent us to St. Catherine's Junior School.

Hi Elaine, I certainly remember Pyebank School, I started in the Infants there in 1938! A long time ago right? I lived on Fox St and later in Wooside Lane. Funny about advancing years, the long term memory gets keener. In the blitz, a bomb dropped and exploded right across the road from the school and blew all the windows out,so the authorities farmed all us kids out into peoples front rooms. I finished up with a few more kids at the top of Fox St. Later they moved us to Pitsmoor School, just below the Bay Horse. I hated it there, one big room, with a pot bellied stove in the middle and furthermore they made you knit ! I lasted no time at all. It was sad to read all the replys to your question, about the area and that, I haven't been to Sheffield for almost 50years so I guess things have changed big time.

i lived in andover street across the road from a lady called mary flannagan my name was janet houlston i had sisters called wendy ,pamela.my mother was betty and my father ronald.

Originally posted by pitsmoorboy

Charlie Street was in my class at Pye bank school in the late 50's The Wembley play ground was on Marcus St.

Was that the play ground at the side of the railway near the firey jack tunnel.

Hi Siren Just been looking through this post again and it just struck me that your name could be Sirone or Cirone and did you have a brother who was in the police force?

Pitsmoorboy

You should be in the police force yourself

Siren