Pyebank School, Pitsmoor

I was at pye bank but i moved up a year later.My brother Barry Gunn is on your list.We lived on oborne street and i recognize some of the names you have.greetings from Canada!

Good to hear from you. Sadly, there has not been any significant response from people on the list...I suppose we are of the generation that might not be too familiar with modern technology!

Hi pitsmoorboy. I remember Susan Crookes and a boy at Pyebank school called Charles Street. I also remember a playground we used to go to- we called it Wembley, but I cant remember where it was.

Happy days.

the playground was on Oborne Street just of Marcus street

Was that the play ground at the side of the railway near the firey jack tunnel.

the playground was on Oborne Street

Good to hear from you. Sadly, there has not been any significant response from people on the list...I suppose we are of the generation that might not be too familiar with modern technology!

Last week I met up with an old mate from my Pye Bank days. I took a copy of Sheffield boy to give him, we both started school in 59 a little later than yourself but a lot of your memories in the book link to mine and I believe he will find the same.

As I handed him the book it suddenly struck me that his aunt was on your class/year list, Pat Neely, and I told him of the connection. He said he would contact her about it, so Pat is still around.

I will pass on any further information I recieve.

I went to Pye Bank from January 1942 to July 1948.

Started out in the infants with a teacher called Miss Fielding who then became Mrs Jeavons. Can't remember much else about the down stairs.

When we went upstairs in to the juniors, I did two years with Miss Braun and the last two years in Hilda Smith's class.

Regards

hi falls I went to pye bank from 1943 or 4 till 1951.I remember the downstairs headteacher was Miss Wragg.I remember mr.Fletcher and Mr BrownThe headteacher upstairs was Sydney Speight.He died whilst I was there but I dont remember who replaced him.I see you live in Ontario.I am in Alberta.

There was also a Wembley on Orborne St. off Marcus St. Thats the one I spent many a sunny day in. All those years ago

I played there too, also went down the bank to the disused railway tunnel, it scared the pants of me. Do you remember the funfair that was on Bridgehouses,had many of good times there too. (Shouldnt this be on another thread):huh:

Hi the disused railway tunnel was called the fiery jack tunnel accessed by going over the bullrocks from the old hill.In the early days of the war before we had airraid shelters we slept in that tunnel.Does anyone else remember that?

Hi the disused railway tunnel was called the fiery jack tunnel accessed by going over the bullrocks from the old hill.In the early days of the war before we had airraid shelters we slept in that tunnel.Does anyone else remember that?

If you put "fiery jack tunnel" into the search engine on here, Mollie, you will find a good thread about memories of the tunnel.

Just keep the names of old Pye Bank pupils from the 1940s going, folks!

Rita Fox,Pat Otley,Iris Otley,Olwen Gunn.Kathleen Etches.Jean Walker,all lived on Oborne Street

Rita Fox,Pat Otley,Iris Otley,Olwen Gunn.Kathleen Etches.Jean Walker,all lived on Oborne Street

Maureen and Sheila Russel Tony Mercer

my dads main friends were Dennis machin and Arthur froggatt, he doesnt remember barbara shaw, he remembers marlene bramhall and jean porter. he asked what your full name is, as he doesnt remember miss fisher.he remembers brian day who was a talented swimmer. and most of the others on the list,

hi gunnery Sarah or Rebecca?Say hi to your dad for me.Auntie Ol

Hi mollioneal alias my cousin.

I didn't sleep in the tunnel, but my parents did and one Christmas they had a Christmas tree in there. CR

Hi mollioneal alias my cousin.

I didn't sleep in the tunnel, but my parents did and one Christmas they had a Christmas tree in there. CR

hi cornish Rose alias my cousin I tried to reply to your query earlier but couldnt get on to the thread,I have onl been doing this for about a week andstill cant find things that i found the first time.Mike had told me about this site a while ago and he had put some pics on his facebook of Oborne Street and the house we lived in.He told me there is a site with pictures of the playground on but I havent found them yet.love Ol.