Pyebank School, Pitsmoor

I remember David Darling, he was in my year at school I think (it was the infants LOL) Also recall going to one of his birthday partys and that big bird they had in a cage...............

David is my half brother! :)

Few more from the 40's. Raymond Bairstow, David Carnell, Harry Littlewood (not George), Roger Watts, Alan Brookfield, Ray Williams, Freddie Eggleston, Roy Lines/Lyons.

Here's some more:-

Jack Finney, Terry Wild, Brian Manning, Jack Akers, Alan Bradley. Roland Bentley, Barry Meech, George Jex, Peter Buck, Frank Hewitt, Donald Bond, Peter Gilmore, Gary Bowring, Derek Bridges and I think it was Leonard Harpin (not Leslie)

Anyone remember Derrick Athorn from the 1946 list posted a few days ago?

I think he was in the same class as me at Burngreave,left in 52.Didn`t he start work as a cobbler ,Or was that later.The one I knew lived either on Marcus St. Or Verdon St.

David is my half brother! :)

Say hi from me the next time ya see/speak to him :)

Now you have me started.

These were some of my class mates in the last year at Pye Bank Juniors.

(1948)

Patricia Atkin, Nina Dodd, Marion Fox, Margaret Graham, Maureen Greenwood, Janet Hodgitt, Jean Martin, June Moorwood, Anne Taylor, Sheila Trickett, Pauline Woodhouse.

Albert Edmonds, Leslie Fleming, Stanley Idle, Albert Kelsey, Ronnie King, Peter Oliver, Frank Thorpe, Brian Tompkins, Ronnie Turner, Stanley Wheelhouse

I think there were 40 in the class but these are the only ones I remember. Its terrible what old age does to your memory. After all, its only 60 years ago

Regards

Here's some more:-

Jack Finney, Terry Wild, Brian Manning, Jack Akers, Alan Bradley. Roland Bentley, Barry Meech, George Jex, Peter Buck, Frank Hewitt, Donald Bond, Peter Gilmore, Gary Bowring, Derek Bridges and I think it was Leonard Harpin (not Leslie)

This one is going to be easy. From your list ,the only ones I DON"T remember are:

Barry Meech, Peter Buck, Garry Bowring, Leonard Harpin.

From the names I do remember after all these years. Don't ask me to pick them out in a line up.

I seem to remember:

George Jex was always known as "Jud Jex".

Brian Manning's Mum worked on School Meals at Burngreave. She usually worked in Room 52 at dinner time.

Jack Akers lived on Stockton Street

Regards

Does anyone remember the Darling brothers, Keith and Michael (Mick) ?

Hello,

I remember Keith Darling at Pye Bank but don't ask me when. Would he be about 72 now? Also, did he every live on Andover Street or would that be another "Keith" ?

Regards

Did Brian Manning live near the bottom end of Fowler Street, just round the corner from Macro Street? If so, I remember him from around about 1951-2 when he went to Burngreave.

The Harpin I remember was, I feel sure, Leslie. He lived on Bramber Street, I think. Did he have a brother called Leonard?

Now you have me started.

These were some of my class mates in the last year at Pye Bank Juniors.

(1948)

Patricia Atkin, Nina Dodd, Marion Fox, Margaret Graham, Maureen Greenwood, Janet Hodgitt, Jean Martin, June Moorwood, Anne Taylor, Sheila Trickett, Pauline Woodhouse.

Albert Edmonds, Leslie Fleming, Stanley Idle, Albert Kelsey, Ronnie King, Peter Oliver, Frank Thorpe, Brian Tompkins, Ronnie Turner, Stanley Wheelhouse

I think there were 40 in the class but these are the only ones I remember. Its terrible what old age

Hi Falls, my name was Nora Armitage and I think I must have been in your class too. I remember all those names.

Nina Dodd and Jean martin were my special friends. Janet Hodget lived next door to me at no. 16 Gray. June Moorwood,Pat Atkin and Jean Martin were in the swimming relay team with me, I remember some of the boys too especially Ronnie King, Peter Oliver and Stanley Idle. Were we all in Miss Smiths class at the end?. Do you remember the cane she had and used it plenty of times. My hands are still smarting lol are yours.

Cheers

Nora

A picture of the Pye Bank teachers from 1943 appears on Sheffield History in the 'Places that have gone' section, in case anyone is interested.

Hi Red', I took the trouble to register on the ''Sheffield History'' site just for the opportunity to have a look at that picture. Clicked on the relevent place, cannot get a picture. No joy at all.

Cheers

Nora

Yes Nora, we were all in in Hilda Smith's class and yes!, she could dish it out the the cane.

I think the funniest thing about her classes was music, particularly singing. She would start a song by finding the note on that wreck of a piano. Then warble "This your noteeeeeeeeeeee".

Rita Heathcote (another name I've just remembered) and I would look at each other and then Rita would have a bad attack of the giggles. Why Hilda never saw us is a mystery.

Regards

Cheers

Nora

Yes Nora, we were all in in Hilda Smith's class and yes!, she could dish it out the the cane.

I think the funniest thing about her classes was music, particularly singing. She would start a song by finding the note on that wreck of a piano. Then warble "This your noteeeeeeeeeeee".

Rita Heathcote (another name I've just remembered) and I would look at each other and then Rita would have a bad attack of the giggles. Why Hilda never saw us is a mystery.

Regards

Hi Falls, thank you for your reply. You were right about Janet Hodgett, she lived with her parents and her grandfather Mr. Rice. Last I heard of her she got married and went to Canada. You were also right about my cousin Joe, sadly he died a couple of years ago. He had two younger brothers Ray and Brian who I have lost contact with,. I never saw or heard from any of our classmates after I left school, you are the first. If you remember any thing else let me know. Cheers.