Sign in to follow this  

Any experienced gardeners out there?

Looked in the Groups section but there isn't a gardening one which surprises me. Wonder if can anyone help with my problem. I bought a load of different geraniums (pelargonums) from a local garden centre for my tubs. Most are lovely but six of them won't flower. The flowers heads form then the flower bearing stem and the flower heads go brown and drop off but the rest of the plant is thriving. The other plants in the tubs with them (petunias) are fine so it can't be the compost. I can't find anything like it in my gardening book or on the internet. Has anyone come across anything like this before?

Don, I have used the pelleted feed (supposed to last the season) which came mixed with water retaining granules. The other geraniums are in the same mix and they're OK. I might dig one up tomorrow and have a look at its' bum!!!

When you dig them up and find they've no roots then it's probably Vine weevil grubs that are responsible.

Just thought I'd let you know what I eventually found! The plants were still in their plug pots which had been sunk inside larger pots for selling by the garden centre! The plug pots were obviously supposed to have been biodegradeable but hadn't degraded and the plant was literally being strangled. I have now gone round and sliced through the plugs and the flowers are now going berserk. Worth checking out if anyone has similar problems.

Which garden centre did they come from? (just so as we know who to avoid in the future)