Dogs and swimming

Is it usual for pups to be scared of water and to want to avoid it at all costs?

Helly, our two are 1 year and 11 years and neither will go near water! (Well Takara went swimming in the lake recently but not by choice!)

Some dogs just don't like it, others need to be shown and some love it from the off! Try introducing her gradually, like at a dam or at the sea, that way she can get her toes in first and go in slowly rather than being totally submerged at once (like Takara was hahahaha!!).

Good luck! Ed won't even go in our bathroom in case we run a bath!

My mums bf chucked my dog into the middle of a lake when she was a pup, she didn't like it but at least we found out she could swim. (if that concerns anyone, don't worry shes a spoilt little dog who is bout 15 year old and still loving life.

Seriously though, some dogs don't like water but how scared is it? Take it to rother valley or somewhere when it's really hot, it's bound to have a paddle to cool off.

Where can I take her to try swimming then? Are dogs only allowed on Cleggy beach in winter?

Most beaches seem to have a dogs only in winter rule, Sandsend near Whitby is our current favourite beach. Two of my three hate the water but my colliexlab likes it. Can depend on breed, retriever types will often 'retireve' from anywhere, poodles and others with similar coats often like water too.

Try Dam Flask,

We're going to try getting Takara into the water there it slopes into the water so they can go in and just paddle at first :thumbsup:

Where's that? Can't say I've ever heard of it.

yeah it's down that way, don't know exactly because a friend drove me there and I haven't made my own way there yet! :lol:

Well Jess had to make do with Lakeside today, where a little paddling was done. However, we came home and she was so terrified of the hosepipe that she cowered under garden furniture... strange

Note: Doncaster Lakeside has poisonous algae in it - so this location is not to be recommended to anyone looking for swimming spots

Strix

What puppie have you got n how old n wats it called:) :)

<-------- Thats my puppy, Jess, who's 8 months old on Monday. Shes Border collie x Lab. Shes the daftest thing I've ever met and occasionally thinks shes a cat.

Do you have dogs?