How old are kittens supposed to be before getting done?

i want to get my little Salem done so we dont get no babies, Misty hasnt had her first season yet but i dont want her to have any babies with Salem. He is beautiful and totally gorgouse but im not sure that with him been very oriental looking and resembling a long legged spider monkey it will mix well with Misty being a British Blue :hihi: :hihi:

so advice please about how old, and when he is old enough and i have had him seen to what can i expect? will he be really pooly? will he need little bags of frozen sweetcorn like Shane did * creasing with laffin now at the memories*

thanky yooooo

Hiya :wave:

as a fellow owner of new beautiful kitties our vet told us that snipping is generally carried out at 5 months for boys, 6 months for girls... we are getting ours done asap as we also don't want kittens! its hard enough just looking after 2 little (spikey!!!!) bundles of fluff!!!

You arent going to take their poor little balls away are you!?!?

oooo thankyou for that em :) ive got neally another 2 and half months to wait then.

its absolutly fantastic watching them play isn it, our Misty is abit ruff with her been alot bigger but Salem is so brave he never gives in.

jabba.. i dont know , is that what they do then, pinch their goolies? i thought it would be same as blokes :o

having said that i should have known cos we keep threatning our Murphy ( rotty) that hes going for his bits chopped off. I just never gave it a thought with cats :rolleyes:

Neutering for toms does remove the testes- that's how they tame down the spraying and aggression that you see from tom cats otherwise.

I don't think you have any worries with Misty getting pregnant from Salem Litha- because he's so much younger than her, but it's really important if you aren't going to let Misty have kittens that you get her spayed as soon as she's at the right age (or risk her escaping and getting knocked up while under the influence of a season!). If they don't have babies and don't get spayed they are at risk of uterine cancer- so choose one or the other. With cats you also don't have to wait for their first season like you do for dogs- the only rule apart from making sure she's old enough is not to get her done while she's actually in season (which could be 1 week in 3 if she's not done).

You cant!!! you just cant allow it! Males adore their little jewels!!! God dont do it!!!!

Spay the females, they dont care, but please dont take a males happy-sacks away!!!!

Yes we have another 2 months for one and 3 months for the other....

they are the most adorable mad little creatures (especially at bedtime :roll: )

:D

If they don't have babies and don't get spayed they are at risk of uterine cancer- so choose one or the other.

Is it a particularly high risk of developing uterine cancer if they are not spayed and don't have babies? or is it a case of because they have a uterus there's always the possibility? My two cats are spayed anyway but I just wondered.

I think I also remember our vet mentioning having our male puppy neutered or he'd run the risk of getting (presumably testicular) cancer. I can't back that up, but if I have remembered rightly, I'm sure it's better for him to live without the "jewels" just to be on the safe side!!

I can't quantify the risk, but according to a number of vets I've spoken to it's definitely higher than for other queens who have kittens. If you're a breeder and you only want your queen to have one litter a year you can get contraceptive jabs that prevent them from having lots of seasons- I believe that repeated seasons without conception are something to do with the risk.

Jabberwocky- if you'd shared a house with some of the entire tom cats that we have through the Shelter, you'd understand exactly why we get them neutered!

exactly - and once they've lost them they couldn't care less anyway!

In my opinion - a male animal (be it cat or dog, or anything I suppose) is much happier neutured as he doesn't have that urge when around the girlies that he's not allowed to act on!

thankyou for all the info everyone, im deffinatly getting Salem done but i wanted to get another british blue boy nd let our Misty have a set of babies but i dont know, she will never talk to me again if i take her to the vets shes so touchy but then again i dont think i could bare watching her in pain having babies .... ohhhh no desisions desisions :|