Ron Atkinson's racist remarks

Originally posted by Tony

I'm not PC in the slightest (all my friends could confirm that) but I personally just don't see colour or race or religion as an issue. I don't have to be PC because it's simply not a concious act - it's just how I am - I have nothing to overcompensate for.

If, as you claim, you "don't see colour or race or religion as an issue", why is it you make more noise and stir up more ill feeling than just about anyone else on this forum about precisely those 3 things?

You misunderstood what I wrote. Reread it again with the other meaning. It will become clear, along with the answer to your question. "Stir up ill feeling"??? Hehe, that's a good one from you!

Originally posted by DaBouncer

And what about Dance music, Frank Sinatra, Rat Pack etc etc :P

Sinatra evolved from the old black jazz bands and house music is a direct descendant of disco :)

http://www.jahsonic.com/BlackMusic.html gives you a bit of info if you're interested :)

Originally posted by Killian

i take exception to being called a white nerd (haven't got any spots) :);)

Good call.

But can you imagine the outcry if I'd said "spotty BLACK nerd"?

Originally posted by mojoworking

It sounds to me as if you'd rather like to do that! [burn a flag in Regents Park]

:D Please see my previous post regarding this. It was actually a dig at those people who don't see the word ****** as an insult, but demanded vengeance against flag burners.

Originally posted by mojoworking

If you think it's alright for black people to use the word, but not white. Then surely that's racism too?

Thank you. That is exactly the question I have been asking; why is it 'OK' for blacks to call each other ****** but not for whites to do it? In my view, none of it should be tolerated.

(Note - here comes Killian to tell me off for asking the same question for a third time in this thread :roll: )

You're missing the point though EDN.

I have - what point have I missed? I hought I was just making a general comment!

I'm not PC in the slightest (all my friends could confirm that) but I personally just don't see colour or race or religion as an issue. I don't have to be PC because it's simply not a concious act - it's just how I am - I have nothing to overcompensate for.

Isn't that how it should be?:)

I'm not actualy sure that it how it should be - alot of people see their race/culture/religion whatever as a very important part of their identity and might see it 'not being an issue' as people not taking it seriously. Whats really needed is a culture of respect for he things that people hold as being important. By their very nature the things that person A holds dear will sometimes conflict with the things that are important to person B - but if they treat each other with the respect for their feelings/belief/race whatever that they would like to recieve thing will be alot happier!

And I have to say (and not intending any offense here) that from reading your posts race and racism seems to be a MAJOR issue for you.

Sorry - I should have made myself clearer EDN. :P

I suppose what I'm saying is that I'm quite a simple soul and I have no real predjudice unless I have a good reason for it, Therefore I don't judge on the above factors because... well I simply don't. Perhaps I'm lucky. That's why I'm not PC. Take a look around the forum though, and you will see quite a few examples of people jumping to conclusions for no reason whatsoever, which seems to feed some fear that they have.

As for how I come across, it's not racism that annoys me - it's needless intolerance - check my sig's from time to time ;) My forum attitude has its roots in the time last year when there was something of a BNP takeover attempt (failed).

A lot of the media just feeds this further and makes it worse - see the recent articles in the Sun about "asylum seekers eat roasted swans".

I do agree that some people and organisations try too hard and end up with the reverse as you suggest.

Originally posted by Abdul

Thank you. That is exactly the question I have been asking; why is it 'OK' for blacks to call each other ****** but not for whites to do it? In my view, none of it should be tolerated.

Well obviously, I'm not black so feel free to dismiss this comment. As I have been trying to say, the word '******' is generally considered to be an insult. If a black person says it to another black person then he's insulting himself just as much, which in a way wipes out any offence.

I generally get offended when people have a go about my weight, but one of my mates is also of big build and we call each other 'fat boy'. Obviously I can't be offended by it because he's as fat as I am.

Why should Ron Atkinson be racist anyway? Isn't he orange himself?

Abdul, why have you asked the same question 3 times? ........... :D

As for how I come across, it's not racism that annoys me - it's needless intolerance - check my sig's from time to time ;) My forum attitude has its roots in the time last year when there was something of a BNP takeover attempt

this would explain why anyone who disagrees with you is a racist bigot and oft BNP supporter then

i dont mind in any shape or form people disagreeing with me,as has been said,what suits Mr A may be abhorrent to Mr B.

but i feel i must agree that certainly race has come across as a major issue with you, sorry if i mis-interpreted your post,but being called a racist twice in the same thread usually means you have an issue with it

Gizmo, you are entitled to your opinions, and I'm entitled to mine. Perhaps you and I should explain ourselves better to avoid misunderstandings eh?

I'm still struggling to see why you like Bernard Manning's act if you don't like racism, intolerance, bigitory, or whatever though :huh:

Maybe you should be sticking up for those he attacks instead of buying his videos?:confused: