Top 4 Classics you always wanted to own...

not talking WISHFUL THINKING FANTASY LAND here, so forget the 100K rare Italian Sports job, but more those affordable everyday classics you always want to own, but maybe not yet found the right example or had the time or inclination....together with a quick 'review' of the car/model would be nice, from a personal point of view....

My top 4 most wanted affordable classics at present:

1) FORD CORTINA MK 2 1600 GT: Introduced in 1967, my most wanted classic, which is still just about affordable for a good condition example. Ultra cool, even back in the late 60's.

2) ROVER P4, ideally the 110 range made between 1962 and 1964...lovely car, wonderfully period looking and yet somehow retaining a total elegance blended with coolness......one of the classiest dashboard layouts ever seen as well.

3) HILLMAN HUNTER GT or GLS model, more refined late examples from the mid 70's preferred than the earlier models, much forgotten about family car that had a certain passing design nod in some respects to the Cortina, but a very distinctive car with a great interior, especially the top end models with wood grain dashboard and all the extras. Also liked the Hillman Minx which was a poorer brother of the Hunter, but it lacked any extras.....

4) FORD ZODIAC EXECUTIVE MK 4, huge cavernous car, never sold that well at the time due to its enormous American style bulk, but what a car to try and reverse into a tight space in tesco car park surrounded by mortified women tho think you are about to run over their little Nissan shopper! Oozes 1960's/70's status and charm in the old 'gangster' sense, its bottom of my list as it only does 18 miles a gallon having a v8 engine, and therefore not really an affordable everyday classic, but still cheap to pick up good examples as not very popular choice, even today. Turning circle requires road as wide as a runway though....

There thats mine.....and now lets hear from the rest of you, your top 3 most wanted or preferred affordable or 'everyday' classics.....

That would have to be:

A MK1 Sierra Cosworth RS500. I Have always wanted one of these. Think I will have to wait a few years yet though.

A Tickford Capri. Think these are a great collectors car. Again always wanted one and it's very rare you see one now.

A Chevvy Belair. What a great car these are. A bit impractical for the streets of sheffield maybe but great anyway.

Finally a Morris 1000 Traveller. Had a go in one of these a few years ago to collect some spares for another car. Great fun and great comedy value.

Up until yesterday the Deloeron DMC would have been on this list. I saw a couple at Hope Show for the first time in the flesh and I'm so disappointed. I always wanted one of these as a kid and now all my dreams have been wasted. They really are not nice!

I am not sure there is a top 4 but I can run off a few names of cars I would like to sample before I die.

Mini, Hillman Imp, Fiat 500, Metro 6R4,

These were just 4 i could think of from a long list. I have already had 2 of them but would do so again so thought i should include them.

1. Capri mk3 3litre ghia (i loved the way the bonnet rocked as the V6 kicked in!)

2. Alfa Sud Sprint Veloce - top handling, especially after the Capri - this car actually goes around corners! Bodywork a bit dodgy tho.

3. Gordon Keeble - this is possibly worth it for the name alone.

4. Jowett Javelin - this one is really for my dad who had one and tells me about being able to drop the engine and roll the car back to enable you to work on it.

there are lots more i can think of, cars that make you smile when you see them in the car park, or outside your house. I currently have a Seat Marbella Especial as i am in Spain - and i am pleased to see it, not so much for its looks (!) but for its very basic-ness and chucking about in the campo ability

A Ford Capri. I just love that car.

A Triumph Stag.

A Lagonda. ( A dream )

And... I cant think of a fourth but one day I WILL have a Ford Capri, even if I cant drive it!

Good choice Jabberwocky

I nearly had 4 Capri's as top 4 but thought that lacked imagination!

Mk1 1.6

Mk1 3l

Mk3 any Lazer as good everyday car

Mk3 any 2.8 or 3l

plus any customised 70's capri!

rover p6 or a morris traveller

mk1 vw golf

ford capri

sierra cossie

lancia delta

just off top of me head

I've always had a yen for a really good Lancia Delta HF1 (I used to work at a Lancia dealers and got to see lots of really good ones), and I developed a love for my old SAAB 9000 (only 16 years old and bought because she wash cheap- but she was glorious), but other than that my dreams are mostly for bikes and trikes.

My mother, on the other hand, has always had a dream to own a Jensen Interceptor- shame she's never got to own one (though she did get to go truck racing recently, which was another one of her dreams!).

Cheers saxon i really like the gordon keeble:thumbsup:

is that you in the jowett javelin

Nah, not me. I Googled it. Wouldn't mind owning it for a weekend though.:thumbsup: